Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone not overly thrilled with the orange dash illumination color? Looks like it might be possible to change out the LEDs that provide the illumination for ones of a different color. Red, green, blue, anyone? There look to be 13 surface mount LEDs providing the backlighting. There are a few more for warning indicators. I actually thought there might be an electroluminescent panel, but cost won out, it seems. I bought this panel to experiment with. I’m going to see if I can identify the vendor of the LEDs, and see what other options are available, if any. I think a green or blue would look nice, myself.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There’s a reason the illumination is so poor for the instrument cluster. They skimped on the number of LEDs used. There are positions for 6 LEDs for the LCD panel, but they only used 4. The speedometer has positions for 8 LEDs, but they only used 5. One can only imagine how much brighter things could be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There’s a reason the illumination is so poor for the instrument cluster. They skimped on the number of LEDs used. There are positions for 6 LEDs for the LCD panel, but they only used 4. The speedometer has positions for 8 LEDs, but they only used 5. One can only imagine how much brighter things could be.
I’ve been going nuts not being able to read the panel durning the day! Now this explains WHY! I’m so happy I stumbled upon this.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve been going nuts not being able to read the panel durning the day! Now this explains WHY! I’m so happy I stumbled upon this.
I haven't had a chance to source the LEDs yet. Will try over the holidays. May just buy another used cluster and steal the LEDs out of it, combine with the first. I agree, the illumination sucks.

·
Super Moderator
29,146 Posts
Unless you have your lights on during the day, the instruments aren't illuminated... :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hm I was wondering why the dash lights in mine seemed so dim.
Now I know why.
I would love white in mine if you start up a conversion service(did that in my dad’s hummer’s cluster by a guy on eBay and wow what a difference)
It definitely needs more lighting at night though I think the color has a lot to do with it(my rx8 has white backlight on the tech and speed display vs red on the rest of the dash lights and it does great at night and is easy on the eyes)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My thinking was that a variety of colors could be offered, depending on preference. I'll update here when I know more about potential replacements. The other question is whether or not the cluster stores the odometer reading. If so, one would need their own unit modified. I can find that out easy enough by swapping out clusters.

·
Registered
292 Posts
That would be great.
If Mercedes-smart is anything like gm then yes it’s stored in the cluster.
I say that as when I sent the cluster from my dad’s hummer off to have it done the guy sent a pic of it powered up showing the same mileage that was on the truck when I pulled the cluster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts