Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How significantly will cold weather affect the driving range of the 451 electric drive? If the car is stored for the winter is it ok to allow the car to sit with a dead battery? Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
832 Posts
How significantly will cold weather affect the driving range of the 451 electric drive? If the car is stored for the winter is it ok to allow the car to sit with a dead battery? Any thoughts appreciated.
On the coldest day I experienced, (-10 F ) my range was about half that of summer driving (40 v. 80 miles) on my mostly highway commute of the time.

If it is very cold, you're supposed to leave the car plugged in, so it can keep the battery heated. I bet Ohio gets cold enough for that to be a requirement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. We do get quite cold here in the wintertime. This is why I have been wondering if having the car in this part of the country is reasonable. My dilemma is that I have driven the car and love it! Maybe I will just need to grin and bear the cold in January & February...

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
You can also Pre-condition the smart.

You tell it you want to leave at 7AM and it turns on the heater (while still connected to the charging station) and doesn't use any on-board power to heat it up (or cool it in the summer)?

Once you are on the road, your seat heaters draw power from the aux batt, so using them alone will give you more range?

Your A/C unit draws it's power from the traction pack, so the more you use, the less distance you get.

·
Registered
527 Posts
How significantly will cold weather affect the driving range of the 451 electric drive? If the car is stored for the winter is it ok to allow the car to sit with a dead battery?
Here in Ontario Canada, we had a very cold winter, with some weeks with highs of -10C! The Smart ED drove perfectly, but as noted elsewhere on this forum, the range is reduced in extreme temperatures.

For me, I never had a worry, always made it home, even on a tough -34C day when my car needed a few minutes to warm the battery before I could drive away.

I have no idea why anyone would garage this car in the winter, it's so refreshing to drive a car that warms up so rapidly compared to a gas car!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wonder - When the range is calculated on the Smart display (and VH website), does that represent the range to reserve (20% red zone) or to complete depletion?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I wonder - When the range is calculated on the Smart display (and VH website), does that represent the range to reserve (20% red zone) or to complete depletion?
Range estimation to 0% on the SOC meter. This estimation is based on multiple factors, and varies depending on temperature, historic energy usage and other factors.

Now, the SOC meter is also an estimate of the charge state of the battery, but does not vary depending on conditions, rather it seems to be directly related to the available battery charge remaining.

Note, the SOC being zero is not empty battery, rather the high voltage battery is prevented from complete discharge which would be harmful to battery longevity.

I have been able to achieve additional range beyond zero SOC that in my experience was 10km or approximately 1.3 kWh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts