Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel a "grinding" sound when I first pull away after starting the car up after 1+ hours of sitting.

It sort of feels like a plastic gear slipping. I took my car to the dealer and they said it's normal. I only notice it when I first drive away, not any other time when driving.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The transmissions on these cars sound like a box of rocks if you are next to a wall or a cement divider when they first start moving. Not sure why that is but all 3 of my cars have made those sounds when I start to move.
That is besides the whirring motor sound of the catalyst preheat fan..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The transmissions on these cars sound like a box of rocks if you are next to a wall or a cement divider when they first start moving. Not sure why that is but all 3 of my cars have made those sounds when I start to move.
That is besides the whirring motor sound of the catalyst preheat fan..
I might go rent one to see if all the things with mine are "normal"

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Is it grinding or more of a pulsation in the floor?

The abs does a self check on start-up after sitting for a while. I'm wondering if that isn't what you are feeling/hearing???

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Is it grinding or more of a pulsation in the floor?

The abs does a self check on start-up after sitting for a while. I'm wondering if that isn't what you are feeling/hearing???
That was the first thing I thought. The system runs the ABS/ESP pump as soon as it sees wheel speed inputs on take-off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts