Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my orphan the hood latches were inoperative. The part pf the latch that is integrated into the grille was there but the little snap in part that actually contacts the hood to hold it closed was missing.

The hood was held closed by an industrial piece of velcro on the front edge. I just bought replacement latch pieces ( picture ) and snapped them into place. The latches still do not secure the hood properly. There is about 1/8th inch play between the latch pieces and the underside of the hood. Also the handle part of the latch that is integrated into the grille seems to have alot of play on the bottom side of it. So the latch assemblies just rotate freely and the hood would have to raise up slightly for the latches to ever contact the underside of the hood and "hold" it shut. So I guess the velcro is the only thing holding the hood securely despite the fact I know have complete latch assemblies.

Should the latched snap securely or at least make contact with the underside of the hood? or are they all sloppy like that? DCO

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I have never seen any slop in any of the latches I have replaced or owned. They can be put on upside down and work but they will be loose. I usually replace both pieces of the latch. The bottom one can get weak and not hold the top part tight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Should the latched snap securely or at least make contact with the underside of the hood? or are they all sloppy like that? DCO
When I bought my car the right bottom piece (your picture) was missing. When I replaced it I realized that the left bottom one was upside down. Once I figured it out, I realized that they SNAP into place and now the hood tightens down as you twist the two top parts. No slop at all.

Here are some pictures of the left, right, and both. I'll wager that yours are upside down, or not snapped fully into place.

Attachments

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Pinnan for your very helpful post. I went to look at my catches to see if they are upside down or just not snapped into place properly. Also I noticed another difference between my car and yours in the 3rd picture. The straps that act as a safety for the hood. My 2 straps come from the hood and are both secured on the center screw while yours has a staps secured to the outside screws.

Here is a pic of my passenger side catch.

Here is a pic of my driver side catch.

If you look at the strap picture you can see a square of industrial velcro along the chrome edge of the grille. Right now that is the only thing that secures the hood tightly. The catches just seem to operate freely with out catching anything other than being a safety if my velcro lets loose. Then the flap would lift enogh to comtact the catches. I think that after seeing your pictures that my catches aren't snapped down far enough. I too thought that maybe there was some rubber bushings that the hood sat against and that mone were missing, but that wasn't the case. I will investigate tomorrow and see if I need to snap them down further. DCP

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Looks like the 2 tabs that go through the top piece are close together which makes me think either the tabs are broken, or it isn't pressed all the way together. There should be a gap between them.

The straps ( 2 separate straps ) was a modification lots of people did so the service cover wouldn't hit the ground if it wasn't hung up properly. Instead of hanging from one point, it would hang from the 2 and sit level against the front of the car. The strap was cut in half and screwed to the flap and car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yup. jimvw57 is correct on both counts. Your clips are not all the way in. The "split arrow" part should be all the way through the clip and spread open. Look closely at my pics.

And yes, I modified the strap so the hood didn't drag on the ground.

Easy fixes. :)

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I worked on the hood (service flap) situation tonight. Jim you were right I didn't have those pieces snapped together properly. I held up on the latch handle in the grille and gave a good healthy push down on the catches and low and behold they snapped into place. Now there is no slop up and down in the handle and when the hood is in place and you close the latches they actually snap into place when it is closed. Thank you for catching that (pun intended). You have a sharp eye for pictures.

Now Pinan I went to work on re-doing my hood safety strap. I first took it loose and thought there is a place on the underside of the hood that looks like the strap was made to thread through it, so I tried this:

But it still allowed the hood to teeter down to the ground. So I looked at your pics and cut the strap in half and then shortened it a little more and did this:

Opting to bolt it to the side instead of the front.

So now if the hood ever blows off it will not hit the ground. And I have read on the forum about some people having trouble with the hood blowing off while towing the Fortwo with a tow bar behind a motorhome. Since mine is destined to tow behind my Winnebago with a Blue Ox tow bar it was important to me to get it right, and you helped me do just that. Thanks again for all your help, both of you. DCO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts