Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
My sc replaced mine with no argument. Mine wasn't as bad as the photo, but it was on its way at 11,700 miles. smartUSA is interested in the problem and asked that my sc send them photos of mine, and also to send the removed hose back to them.

The sc tech was able to install the new one with a half-inch of clearance over the frame.
Thanks O/S :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
for being such a pita, at least im good for something. (hose info) credit actually goes to the HK forum.
and i did the FCF V-2, for all to enjoy.
what say you?

smartmadness does a offroad? version of the smart, maybe a lift kit

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
for being such a pita, at least im good for something. (hose info) credit actually goes to the HK forum.
and i did the FCF V-2, for all to enjoy.
what say you?

smartmadness does a offroad? version of the smart, maybe a lift kit
Any FCF V-2 kits available yet? :p

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Mine was rubbing and was replaced. I think it is a matter of how the hose was originally installed on the assembly line and does not affect every car. Without modifying my new hose, the tech got it on this time with a half-inch of clearance. Chances are, if the hose is making contact and beginning to show wear but is still OK, just loosening and re-arranging the original hose will be a fix.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
You guys have just convinced me that annual dealer attention is valuable. They'll have this listed on their service bulletins to check. Warranty coverage or not, replacing a hose is far cheaper than replacing a fried engine. I'll be taking my car in next time I'm near a dealer.

Great catch.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Just had mine checked..............

this past Friday :)

My build date is 12/08 and my hose is a different configuration than that shown. I'll get a pic next time I'm under..............didn't have my camera with me at service time :(

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
this past Friday :)

My build date is 12/08 and my hose is a different configuration than that shown. I'll get a pic next time I'm under..............didn't have my camera with me at service time :(
My build is JUN 08, and I'm configured the same as the Hong Kong picture. Could there have been yet another quiet field-change after reported problems?

·
Registered
488 Posts
My build is JUN 08, and I'm configured the same as the Hong Kong picture. Could there have been yet another quiet field-change after reported problems?
I have a 2008 Passion Cabrio built in June 2008. It has 30k miles on it. No rubbing here. And no rubbing on my 2009 Brabus either.

Sorry to revive an old thread. I found this thread by searching for the problem after finding a parted out 2008 Passion in the parts marketplace section of this forum. He has a blown engine from this problem at 25,000 miles. :mad: Smart really should have notified people of this problem. I am one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have a 2008 Passion Cabrio built in June 2008. It has 30k miles on it. No rubbing here. And no rubbing on my 2009 Brabus either.

Sorry to revive an old thread. I found this thread by searching for the problem after finding a parted out 2008 Passion in the parts marketplace section of this forum. He has a blown engine from this problem at 25,000 miles. :mad: Smart really should have notified people of this problem. I am one of the lucky ones.
Since the brabus is an 09 , was the hose a different configuration than your 08 passion as someone else suggested ? . Wondering if I should go look at mine or if smart changed the setup on later builds

·
Registered
222 Posts
NOT in service bulletin

You guys have just convinced me that annual dealer attention is valuable. They'll have this listed on their service bulletins to check. Warranty coverage or not, replacing a hose is far cheaper than replacing a fried engine. I'll be taking my car in next time I'm near a dealer.

Great catch.
As far as I know, this issue is NOT in a service bulletin or anything other than these forums.

When it was discovered and publicized, I had to ask my dealer to check and tell them where to look.

-Barry-

·
Registered
499 Posts
brought it up @nationals to service guy and he said he knew about it. I bought new hoses. (I was one of the lucky ones with rubing hose) the replace ment hose was about 1/8" shorter on engine side I shortened the worn 1 and put it back on to see and it fixed the clearance prob. So if yours is up against the frame an not worn yet just cut a little off the end and it'll be good. The differance is very small. But it is enough to put it up against the frame.And engine shake wears it out.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts