Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you know how the engine was moved back? Looking at the engine mounts, I don't see any forward/backward adjustment. Was it the engine cradle that was moved?

~toaster
Toaster, I did not see them in the actual process of moving the engine mounting.
I was there under the car as they showed me the loose radiator and condenser the last MB smart center left after replacing the entire A/C hose system.
They were showing me that there was now clearance and my hose did not touch and they did not touch the hose, itself....cause I asked them if they shortened it. They did NOT shorten it, they just explained how the motor mounts wear, and drop the engine as they wear. So, they re positioned the motor, and gave the clearance that way. Maybe there is a tech on this forum familiar with this particular fix for the hose rubbing . I am sure this is quicker for the tech on a slight rub like mine, not needing a replacement, to do this repositioning.
Hope this kinda helps, but again, I wasn't there when they did the actual work. This was a post-op visit under the car with the tech and the service manager.

·
Registered
49 Posts
radiator hose wear

brought it up @nationals to service guy and he said he knew about it. I bought new hoses. (I was one of the lucky ones with rubing hose) the replace ment hose was about 1/8" shorter on engine side I shortened the worn 1 and put it back on to see and it fixed the clearance prob. So if yours is up against the frame an not worn yet just cut a little off the end and it'll be good. The differance is very small. But it is enough to put it up against the frame.And engine shake wears it out.

Hey I'm one of the unlucky ones also.. Do you happen to have the part number or a link for the replacement hose? I need to order one so I can get this fixed but don't want to order the wrong one.
-Garrett

·
Registered
800 Posts
It finally happened! Cheewawa (2008, 2nd engine) at 207070 miles wore a hole in the hose in that exact spot. Now how do I go about getting a new hose (what part number?) and more importantly, how to get to it.... evilution's site and Faq101 both have nothing on this repair... any ideas?

81 - 84 of 84 Posts