Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the radio of the smart 451 (us model) can come out and be replaced by an after-market radio system? I would really like to utilize as much of the current radio space and ad a in-dash screen, possibly as large as 7 inches.

Being that the 451 is out in the UK, has anyone seen one of these with a non-factory radio system?

Here is the factory 451 radio

And the goal although I believe this photo has been done up in photoshop

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I understood that the ForTwo was available in Europe with a NAV system, so I'm guessing there's enough room for just about any head unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, you can get a double-DIN adapter, I'm new so I cannot post a link, but try to go to the German ebay (ebay.de) and type: Smart 451
/Peter

·
Banned
20 Posts
Nav system

The nav system goes on the dash. I think a Double DIN radio will be a tight fit. Look at the round corners on the top of the standard radio and the square ones on the bottom.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
smartcar:

Yes the deck can come out and a double din unit put in its place. I will be putting a double din navigation unit into my smart 451, will be posting photos of that on my smart 451 website, I'll post once the photos are up.

You will need a bracket, while I had to get mine for Germany it wasn't that bad, was roughly $80 plus shipping, but buy a few things as they have some cool parts in Europe for the Smart 451.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the radio 9? I talked to Crutchfield and they don't have a clue about any harnass that will work with the Smart.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the radio 9? I talked to Crutchfield and they don't have a clue about any harnass that will work with the Smart.
Try evilution.com They have diagrams of harness for many different radios. The USA version is made by Visteon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"Provision for radio installation"

smartcar:

Yes the deck can come out and a double din unit put in its place. I will be putting a double din navigation unit into my smart 451, will be posting photos of that on my smart 451 website, I'll post once the photos are up.

You will need a bracket, while I had to get mine for Germany it wasn't that bad, was roughly $80 plus shipping, but buy a few things as they have some cool parts in Europe for the Smart 451.

Does anyone know if the "Provision for radio installation" that is standard for the pure includes brackets...or is it just a large hole in the dash (incl. antenna, 2 speakers, Aux input jack for MP3 device)?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I tried the Evilution website and all I could get, was a home page and no other links to information about the radio diagram.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was in San Francisco last week and they had an orphan with a Pioneer DVD nav screen with back up camera installed. The install looked good. They used a black fabric to fill the gap between the new head unit and the dash.
Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where do you get the correct wiring harness? Someone mentioned Visteion, but I have not been able to locate this harness or even find out if this is the correct one.
Thanks,
ck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts