Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced their rear view mirror recently? I realize a wider one is pretty much pointless for seeing out the back because of the seats, but I’m considering doing so with one that has a built in display, in order to tie in some cameras. From what I can tell, the mirror mount is a standard late model Mercedes mount.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I installed one of those rear-view camera/dashcam mirrors and would not go back. I mounted the rear camera in the wiper path and near one of the defrost heating elements to make sure it always stays clear. It’s a vast improvement in safety because the field of view is much wider than the rear-view mirror, plus the seats aren’t in the way. The only caveat is the image is compressed a bit so “objects may be closer than they appear” so be careful.

As an extra benefit, the dashcam records everything from front and rear views. I’ve submitted a few videos of “highway bullies” to my local law enforcement for “processing.”

I think only Smart very drivers understand the true essence of highway bullies. I’ve had trucks on my back bumper so close I could not see their license plates.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed one of those rear-view camera/dashcam mirrors and would not go back. I mounted the rear camera in the wiper path and near one of the defrost heating elements to make sure it always stays clear. It’s a vast improvement in safety because the field of view is much wider than the rear-view mirror, plus the seats aren’t in the way. The only caveat is the image is compressed a bit so “objects may be closer than they appear” so be careful.

As an extra benefit, the dashcam records everything from front and rear views. I’ve submitted a few videos of “highway bullies” to my local law enforcement for “processing.”

I think only Smart very drivers understand the true essence of highway bullies. I’ve had trucks on my back bumper so close I could not see their license plates.
So what model did you install? I’ve seen some that record, and like the idea. I’ve encountered a few bullies myself. Some really bad drivers out there.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I got this one and have been very happy with It:

Yeah. I love my Smart, but it seems to bring out the “highway bullies” in larger numbers than any other car I’ve ever owned. People will cut me off, encroach into the lane, brake suddenly and other dangerous nonsense FAR more frequently when I’m driving my Smart than any of my other cars. Most drivers would not even think of an unsafe lane change in front of my old Nissan Armada, but will cut my Smart off like it’s not even there.

I think some of the reason is the Smart’s small size is akin to a motorcycle. I had a few encounters where I talk to the other driver afterwards and was told, “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you.” I keep my lights on for safety most of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts