Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an open thread set up “over there” (UK) requesting input on reliability issues for the Euro 451 based on their earlier experiences. Like all forum threads it has meandered a little but then comes back to centricity. So, so far….

The Brits identify an occasional problem with the door locks not operating properly (or at all). It is not an issue that has been addressed and solved in the ’07 Continental 451s because apparently the UK 451s have different latches and locks (and it sounds like the same ones as the N.A. 451s). It might have something to do with their RHD configuration and/or turning part of the wiring loom backwards.

There is a problem (in France primarily) with the theft of the easy-off front access panel.

They are not overwhelmed (this may be a "yet") with the fuel consumption of the 451 as compared to the 450. Their history with the 450 has it that you need about 5K break-in miles to see expected MPGs. They (the Brits) too crave for a diesel, which they are also denied.

They don’t have much history for the Euro 451 yet, as they have only had it for about six weeks now.

As good as Evilution (http://www.evilution.co.uk/) is with the 450 and its variants, don’t look for much on the 451 soon. “Evil” himself is not going to buy a 451 and dissect it for us as he did with the 450. Apparently his size is such that he has interference with the steering column and new (for the U.S. market) dash. And, he has gotten little input from new 451 owners so far.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've seen and touched a US Spec fortwo in San Francisco. The fit, finish and quality of materials was excellent. Better than my expectations, better than the cars used in the tours, and better than my Scion xA.

I think you'll be impressed by the quality.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I've seen and touched a US Spec fortwo in San Francisco. The fit, finish and quality of materials was excellent. Better than my expectations, better than the cars used in the tours, and better than my Scion xA.

I think you'll be impressed by the quality.
I've done the same at the LA Auto Show and at the smart House in Venice, CA. The US spec cars are wonderful. And they drive even better than I remember the Euro cars at the road show or the 450s I've driven in Europe and the G+K cars across the USA.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Door Latches & Locks

Unreliable operation of the UK's 2007 451, GenII's door latches and electronic locks continue to be reported. It has been stated that those latches and locks are the same as will be supplied on the North American smarts. The problem seems to be with the UK (N.A.?) GenIIs, not the Continental ones, though I did read of one problem on a Spanish forum that may have been operator error. Most of the problems are with the interface of the mechanical latch and the electronic key, but there has also been a problem with the emissions of a nearby car's security system confounding the smarts key signal.

An email inquiry to smartUSA has been submitted concerning the issue. We'll see.

The smart seems to be overly dependant on the electronic key and its logic.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whatever the problem is, it seems to continue to exist and has not been known to be resolved. If it is a mechanical problem it should be easy to identify and fix. But what I fear it is that it is on the electronic interface side. I am not pleased that the smart is so electronically-dependant.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Update: Our situation is resolved. The trunk was slightly ajar. The locks function normally now. :)

** DavidV :D

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Some of the door lock and other electrical problems sounded like simple logic or owner inexperiance too me...but there were a lot of obviously bad "modules"

I am glad your problem was simple...a But like Old Smart.... I am paying close attention to these reports... this is a complicated car with a exceptionally short warranty period...

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
There is a problem (in France primarily) with the theft of the easy-off front access panel.
My wife pointed this out this afternoon. For all the research and drooling over the car I did, I did not even notice this. When I took my drive, I asked the sales associate about it. She mentioned that I was teh 1st person to ask about this particular issue and that they were 'working' on it. She told me to get an after market alarm. I asked the manager about it, and he gave me the impression that I was not supposed to figure that one out, but said that it really was not an issue. With the auto theft in my area, and people wanting to really mess with your car, this is a huge issue for me. The only solution I have is to replace the woven fabric strap with a small braded cable.
I dont think it will be an issue for a while, but with in 6 mo people will know.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Front panel theft prevention...

One fake camera with red LED $9.99
One fake stick of dynamite and curly red and black wires $3.99
One visible count down timer triggered by micro switch every time panel removed $15.79

Would be thief hauling butt to get away..... Priceless

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Whatever the problem is, it seems to continue to exist and has not been known to be resolved. If it is a mechanical problem it should be easy to identify and fix. But what I fear it is that it is on the electronic interface side. I am not pleased that the smart is so electronically-dependant.
Lets celebrate the electrons our PC's have more computing power than what was on board Apollo 13. It can be a PITA at times but it also gives us the ability to talk to people around the world about it. The car will make you :D
karl

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'd just as soon limit the electrons to the PC and keep the car simple and "EMP hardened." One of the manifestations of the door lock problem in the UK was an instance where another vehicle (Honda I think) parked next to a smart. The other vehicle had an active RF security system. The RF emissions completely disabled the smart's key, locks and immobilizer until the other car was driven away.

I live in the Hampton Roads, VA area, an area of high EMP (electro-magnetic pulse/propogation) with all the military activity, so I am mindful of spurious RF. Before I changed the ignition system on my Caterham to Luminition I had three Hall Effect distributor pickups fried within the same 200 yard stretch of I-64 near Langley AFB and a "spook" building on the downtown Hampton side. Navy rotating air search radars will make a radio howl every time the beam passes, and phased-array radars produce a background hash noise. Even at long distances, AF and Navy AWACS make their presence known.

I'm a bit disappointed that that dang fat electronic key fob is involved in so many functions.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts