Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the subassembly out of my project car and I think I have a pretty good idea of what happened to it. It looks like the belt got thrown, which of course means the water pump stopped, the engine overheated and the intake manifold looks like it started to melt. No idea what it looks like any farther in.

In addition to the above, all 3 motor mounts are trash. What I am trying to do is get the engine out of the assemby, but it's giving me some troubles so I wanted to ask those of you here who have done this what process did you use?

I can pull the engine and trans as one assembly, but I'll need to disconnect the driveshafts. That looks like it's going to be a hassle, especially with the assembly out now, so I'm hoping there's an easier way.

I've started by splitting the trans and I can get the engine and trans about 1/2 inch (12mm) apart before I'm stuck with what I believe to be some binding on the input shaft between the engine and trans and I'm not 100% certain there's enough room to get it out this way anyhow.

I've done some digging here and while I can find some threads on removing the subassembly, I haven't found any showing the removal of the engine itself.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Spend about $25.00 and get the dvd that sets up access to the Mercedes tech manual on line . It answers all those questions .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up thinking about it last night and taking it all out. It wasn't too bad, but I think reassembly this way will be unpleasant and I will have to find a better way. Thankfully, that will be a bit in the future so I have time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's an image of the intake.

With the motor and transmission out, I was able to see clearly what the hangup was in seapartating the two, the center mount bracket to hold the engine/trans to the subassembly protrudes just enough past the lip of the flywheel causing it to hang there. In retrospect, I think attempting to split them in situ would have been far more trouble than removing them together.

Perhaps now I can pull the head and see how bad the damage is.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Whew that intake runner is melted pretty bad .. yikes .. can’t wait to see what that head looks like .. and this all from a blown belt to the coolant recirculate .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stupid question......what did you do about the AC? Did you just take it to a shop to evacuate? Or were you able to pull the engine without the compressor?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whew that intake runner is melted pretty bad .. yikes .. can’t wait to see what that head looks like .. and this all from a blown belt to the coolant recirculate .
Near as I can tell, yes. It was like this when I bought it, so it's mostly speculation.

Stupid question......what did you do about the AC? Did you just take it to a shop to evacuate? Or were you able to pull the engine without the compressor?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Not a stupid question! I disconnected the compressor from the engine (3 bolts) and tied it to the body so that I didn't have to bother with evacuating it as the system remains closed. I probably should have connected a manifold set to it and seen if it even had a charge, but I didn't.

I'm most curious as to whether the head will be warped or not and if it will be salvageable if it is warped. At my current rate of progress we should have a look in a couple of days as I only get about 30-60 minutes of work on it per day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts