Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have been searching in the forums to find an answer and have had no luck. I just purchased a smart 451 passion and will be installing genius newton wheels in 17-6.5 and curious if 205/40-17 on all 4 would work well. We are using the vehicle as a shop demo car so ride comfort is not a huge issue we are going for looks. Any help would be great. We have tried to locate 195/40-17 and none of the suppliers here can find that size

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 17x7 et27 wheels on Marcie with 205/40/17 Toyo T1r tyres and there is no rubbing in any wheel position. When I was researching tyre sizes it was apparent that tyres are differently shaped where the sidewall meets the tread, some people have reported rubbing on the lower spring seat with some tyre brands of this size tyre. As you an see in the first image, the clearance is very tight, around 5mm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you that does look tight. Your car looks good. Hopefully I can get this all sorted out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes it is tight but others have used a 5mm spacer just to allow the tyre to clear the spring mount.

Thanks for the compliment, she's a work in progress and I have just fitted body colour 'b' pillar panels and I waiting to paint the body kit :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello I have been searching in the forums to find an answer and have had no luck. I just purchased a smart 451 passion and will be installing genius newton wheels in 17-6.5 and curious if 205/40-17 on all 4 would work well. We are using the vehicle as a shop demo car so ride comfort is not a huge issue we are going for looks. Any help would be great. We have tried to locate 195/40-17 and none of the suppliers here can find that size
Out of curiosity, where did you get the Newton wheels, and was it a good deal??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should correct my self I am in the middle of purchasing them from smart madness they have the 17-6.5 in silver available. Just trying to source out the tires locally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A month ago I installed Genius Darwin 17x6.5 all around with General GMax 17/205-40. No spacers or anything. I do have minor rubbing at the front of the wheel arch. I'm in Maine with possibly the worst road conditions in the country. I think they are making contact when going over bad heaves or irregularities in corners. While I'm very fussy about stuff, it's so minor on the very inner edge that Im not worried about it. No damage to the tires.

My favorite local tire shop brought in a set of 215/35, 205/40, and possibly the last set of 195/35 x-drives on The planet. The 215s look perfect.

I will say that I was very worried about making the ride quality worse. My butt says the ride is slightly improved. Handling and stability are much improved. I'm sure a nervous driver might get themselves into oversteer trouble in an emergency maneuver, but I'm not worried about it.

Next going to lower the tail 3/4" to level it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey All, does anyone know if there is any fore-aft adjustment of the front suspension cross-member? This cross member attaches to the lower control arms and is fastened to the body assembly with two bolts on each side.

Oddly, my driver front wheel is about 5mm forward in the wheel well compared to the passenger side. The alignment is all correct and the car has never been in any accidents. This minor difference causes the driver tire to rub slightly in right turns on the front edge of the driver wheel well. Note from my previous posting, that I am running 17x6.5 wheels all around with General GMax 17/205-40. Was thinking that if I can loosen the cross member bolts and push rearward on the driver side it might be enough to stop the rubbing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey All, does anyone know if there is any fore-aft adjustment of the front suspension cross-member? This cross member attaches to the lower control arms and is fastened to the body assembly with two bolts on each side.

Oddly, my driver front wheel is about 5mm forward in the wheel well compared to the passenger side. The alignment is all correct and the car has never been in any accidents. This minor difference causes the driver tire to rub slightly in right turns on the front edge of the driver wheel well. Note from my previous posting, that I am running 17x6.5 wheels all around with General GMax 17/205-40. Was thinking that if I can loosen the cross member bolts and push rearward on the driver side it might be enough to stop the rubbing.

Thanks!
I would start by taking it for an alignment. 5mm isn't a lot and it could be accounted for in a number of ways, but before I changed anything I'd have it checked to see if it's the wheel that's out of whack, the fender, my eye, or something else.

Tweaks to the suspension can be frought with issues, if the wheels are where they're supposed to be and you manage to move one, now you've created a bigger issue with the geometry when the cause could be something else. If I got to that point, perhaps I would try to take very careful measurements, perhaps put the car on jackstands and pull the wheels off. Then carefully measure distances, front to back and diagonally to check for square. If you find it's definitely not right it's time to find the bent suspension parts. The hardest part with something like this is accuracy in measurement and accurate reference points. It can be done, but if you aren't careful you can make the issue worse.

·
Registered
729 Posts

This is on 17 x 6 Genius Drawins as pictured 205/40 17 Hankook Ventus 2's are on the rear and 195/40 Yokohama S Drives are on the front. I had 195s all around for a year and a half but when I needed rears they were discontinued. The Yokohamas actually sit wider due to the square side wall. Very Minor rubs up front go away quick due to easily wearing away the plastic fender material. And there is a lot of adjustment that can be made to the front fenders. I am going to change it all when the economy stabilizes I will go to 17x 7.5 Genius Darwins in the rear with 235/40 17 and 15x 6.5 Genius Darwins up front with 205/50 15 tire brand Undecided. I want the Thicker Sidewall up front to cushion the pot holes And a real wide tire out back.

My most comfortable tire set up 195/50 15 on 15 x 5.5 wheels front. 195/60 15 on 15 x 4.5 wheels rear.

My current set up 195/40 17 tires on 17 x 6 wheels front. 205/40 17 tires on 17 x 6 wheels rear.

My wish list set up 205/50 15 on 15 x 6.5 wheels front 235/40 17 on 17 x 7.5 wheels rear.
Federal Formoza AZ01 All Season Tire - 205/50R15 86V
Federal SS595 Performance Tire - 235/40R17 90V

Car is rolling very well currently so no rush to spend money unless I find some bargains

Thanks!
If the car is in line then work with the play in the fender position first to try and clear the tire.

·
Registered
729 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts