Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
I haven't gone as extreme as the one in the pic, but did get my passenger seat to recline an extra couple of inches by doing what they said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Wow. Just tried it in my '09 Pure! WOW! It worked.

Not sure I recommend it though. Your seat recline will never be the same. It was hard to do it, but once I went all the way backward, it goes there easily. And mine springs back.

Not sure if this was an intentionally hidden design gem or not. I wouldn't recommend it only due to my capacity at the dealership but I like the results on mine. But they are irreversible.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
There is a small tab in the hinge that keeps it from going back too far. I guess they were concerned that driving glike that will keep the seat belts from doing their job. I 'adjusted' my 2009 Pure years ago so I could get a touch more room on long drives.

Passenger side seatbelt loop will hang up on the side of the interior panel so you may have to give the back rest a pull to get it to return all the way upright.

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
I know he says otherwise in the piece, but I have a nagging concern about rear collision strength afterwards. The subject was in the news lately, and they were talking about unmodified car seats.

Ah well, I probably won't be needing to sleep in my car anyway.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I know he says otherwise in the piece, but I have a nagging concern about rear collision strength afterwards. The subject was in the news lately, and they were talking about unmodified car seats.

For me it was more a necessity so my other half can fit better. His head would hit the pano roof on big bumps. Might not make sense to some, but those extra couple of inches of lean space gave enough clearance for him to not end up with a knot on his head with these bad roads around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Yup. been there!!

In a rear collision, the seat will be forced forward, then back. The force will be taken by the latching mechanism and the tab will not even come into play. besides, it doesn't take that much force to bend the tab. In a collision, that small tab is the least of your worries.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I have personally seen unmodified seat backs collapse upon impact from the rear. I dont think the little tab being bent in the "modification" makes much difference. Maybe in a 5mph hit but other factors come into play too, like passenger weight etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts