Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the s-mann styling kit, and everything has been pretty easy and straight forward..

however I'm on the last part - I've glued the s-mann side skirt onto the OEM one, I've put the screws provided in and everything feels good.

However, I CAN NOT PUT THE DAMN SIDE SKIRTS BACK ON TO SAVE MY LIFE - I'm losing my patience and I'm gonna break the skirt in half at some point in anger.

I've looked at the evilution how-to, and they suggested to put the clips onto the skirt before applying the skirt - I've done that with no success.
I've tried putting the clips onto the car and attempting to slide the clips onto the board, with negative success.

Does anyone have a video explaining this, or can you break it down for a dummy like me? I yanked these suckers off with no trouble. Now I can't put them back on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would put it down for awhile & relax. Look at the clips and the skirt and ascertain how to best get the side skirt to slide on. There should be some U-Tube videos on how to install the side skirts.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
There was a time when I was at this point. The solution was two parts, for me. First, I greased the 5 clips that were positioned on the car as well as the reciprocating parts, skirt-side. Then I had another person press the front part of the sideskirt in towards the car body as I shove the back part of the same sideskirt forward.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here’s how I do it...

Slide the clips into the retainers on the car side of the skirt

Place the u-shaped tab at the front end of the skirt into the slot on the car. It helps to do this at an angle and pivot the skirt inward, like closing a pair of scissors with front lip as the fulcrum.

Once the tab is in the slot and everything is lined up, the skirt slides forward about 3/8” to lock in the front lip.

Watching where the mounting studs line up with the retaining clips, starting at the front, tap the skirt so that the attaching pin goes into the center of the clip. If they don’t come close to lining up, the skirt isn’t in the correct place. If they are close, the clip can slide forward or backward to perfectly align with the pin.

Once aligned, tap the skirt at each clip/mounting stud to lock it in place, from front to back, one at a time. After all 5 clips are attached, give the skirt a few taps to complete seating the clips against your he mounting studs. You should see that the gap close between the top of the skirt and the car body.

If everything aligned properly, the two plastic “bolts” that go into the holes in the rear wheel wells should line up. Push the “bolts” in and you should be done.

This is for a 451. I hope it helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts