Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know the part number and manufacturer for the plugs? I'm hoping they can be found in North America because they're $6 - 10 each from Europe. :(

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
The plugs in the American/Canadian 451's are:

DENSO XU22 HDR9

Don't know how much they cost or what other options work, I'll eventually try and find a higher spark versions, but hoping some other members guide me on that as right now the engine is a big black box to me without the service manual, hope that comes soon...

·
Super Moderator
28,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smartster, thanks for the info. Nothing on Google and of course the smart is not on the Denso site yet. I e-mailed them and we'll see if/when they'll have plugs available. :)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, thanks, those are the right plugs. Just trying to see if Denso USA will carry them so we don't have to sell a major body part to pay for imported plugs. Once they answer the mail I'll post it here. :)

The Hong Kong club site is pretty cool.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Spark plugs last so much longer now because of design/materials, engine fuel management and electronic ignition - the need to change spark plugs is so infrequent, you will change, filters, tires and brakes before the plugs need attention.

·
Super Moderator
28,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spark plugs last so much longer now because of design/materials, engine fuel management and electronic ignition - the need to change spark plugs is so infrequent, you will change, filters, tires and brakes before the plugs need attention.
Absolutely true; I still don't want to pay twice what they're really worth when the time comes. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
When your car stops running 'cuz you've got no spark they'll be worth a lot more! :p

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I needed to put new plugs in any of my late model cars. They often go to 100K miles or more, so I get the best available parts when finally necessary. Hang the cost. :)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
By the ttime anyone needs plugs......

When your car stops running 'cuz you've got no spark they'll be worth a lot more! :p

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I needed to put new plugs in any of my late model cars. They often go to 100K miles or more, so I get the best available parts when finally necessary. Hang the cost. :)
Like in many years, they will be available at Auto Palace for what you pay for a good platinum plug now most likely.....not to worry about that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
ARE you sure. The plug referenced is a 2007 Smart with a .7L engine. The 2008 Smart is a 1.0L engine.

Is the .7L a Japanese or German engine? The 1.0L is a Mitsubishi. So what is the real spark plug???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts