Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello everyone, my name is Miso I Live in australia and own a 2009 smart 451 pure. I have just bought a turbo boost gauge out on a whim (i was visiting an auto parts store). Now i need help to install it haha ! I have already connected the wiring, but i am having trouble with where to tap or tee the vacuum tubing in the engine compartment. I have no idea which lines are which there are so many tubes going everywhere !!! Can somebody point out to me which line i should connect the tee please ? It is a stock turbo smart 451. (European) Here is a link to the picture:

·
Super Moderator
28,242 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

You might have better luck getting an answer on one of the European forums as the turbo 451 was/is not sold in North America. There are a couple of turbo experts on SCoA so they might chime in on this one.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Like Jwight said, not familiar with the stock euro plumbing but you should be able to "T" in anywhere on the compressor side of the turbo...Be aware of any inline check valves that might be ahead of where you tap in...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will try this on a UK forum too.
If anyone here has any idea please help !

I will upload some more picture of the engine compartment in the morning so everyone can see what the euro turbo layout is.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Didn't really see a good place to "T" into from your pics... On our American smarts there is a small rubber line that is attached to the plastic intake manifold on the front side of the engine... You will need to raise the car up to see anything from that side to hook to...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i spent a half hour on youtube and internet looking at how turbos work. I found the part number for my model's specific turbo and google imaged it. Knowing what it looks like, i opened up all the rear panels and searched for it. it was right tight between the engine and exhaust. I located the intake pipe and the the outlet, found a little tubing going from the outlet pipe(which goes to the intercooler) to the engine block. "t" into that. Turned on the car and gave it a little air.

It worked. !
It feels amazing. a little bit of DIY. This was probably the most complicated thing i have done to my smart. I am a total newbie at these things. But it was fun, i shall do some more now. haha

I took a bunch of pictures along the way, maybe i'll end up posting the tutorial that i spent days looking for. But i don't think it would be too useful here... since it's a European Turbo Smart... But i'll probably do it anyway since i like this forum :3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts