Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my smart back from the shop, but in the process of taking off the passenger rear trim panel we broke a pair of the clips. I can find the clip that fits on the plastic panel but can't find the part number of the piece that is attached to the metal inside shell.

The 'female' part is A011 988 76 78 in the photo below.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got my smart back from the shop, but in the process of taking off the passenger rear trim panel we broke a pair of the clips. I can find the clip that fits on the plastic panel but can't find the part number of the piece that is attached to the metal inside shell.

The 'female' part is A011 988 76 78 in the photo below.

Well, of course I can't answer your query, but am glad you got your ride back from the shop!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Okay, so I just went to take a peek.

(I'm afraid I didn't want to go on a wild goose chase looking for the part you want. I must confess since I'm not a parts personnel with training sometimes I do need to).

Towards the upper right you can see magnifying glasses and can zoom in and out.

I zoomed into the piece in question. It looks male. Sometimes the "clip" includes both sides. In this case because it looks male, and the part you found is supposedly only the female side, but looks male in the diagram, I want to say it includes both sides.

So I want to ask because this will help:

Did you already procure one and find it is only the female side? Then I can go on my goose chase, happily. I'm sure to "catch a goose".

Things like these I usually call a local dealer to see if they have it in stock, and go take a look. (I usually end up paying more, but for small items like these shipping usually makes it a moot point, and I get to finish the project sooner.)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so I just went to take a peek.

(I'm afraid I didn't want to go on a wild goose chase looking for the part you want. I must confess since I'm not a parts personnel with training sometimes I do need to).

Towards the upper right you can see magnifying glasses and can zoom in and out.

I zoomed into the piece in question. It looks male. Sometimes the "clip" includes both sides. In this case because it looks male, and the part you found is supposedly only the female side, but looks male in the diagram, I want to say it includes both sides.

So I want to ask because this will help:

Did you already procure one and find it is only the female side? Then I can go on my goose chase, happily. I'm sure to "catch a goose".

Things like these I usually call a local dealer to see if they have it in stock, and go take a look. (I usually end up paying more, but for small items like these shipping usually makes it a moot point, and I get to finish the project sooner.)
Thanks, went to the MB parts counter and the folks there were scratching their heads as well as their parts computer shows exactly what I found. Yet in my 2010 I have two parts to this clip, a female/receiver on the plastic trim and a little male nub on the metal frame.

So here's the catch, sometime in the past 8 years this part was changed to a single piece instead of two! Anyhow to save others from prolonged head scratching here's a photo of the new part which works just like every other normal trim plug on the market vs this weird I've never seen before part.

The larger plug holds the carpet to the floor, and on my smart is located just behind the drivers seat, behind the passenger seat is a D ring which is used for a child seat or if you buy a second plug you can take out the D ring and plug the hole. It is part number 000-991-27-95 and cost was .82 cents CAN.

The little clip that caused all the confusion is below the other plug and is part number 011-988-76-78 and cost a whopping $3.52 each. I seem to recall seeing these on eBay for a lot less though I suspect you can find it cheaper still if it wasn't for a smart or MB product. Btw this part is standard issue on MB door trim as well and perhaps why it is so expensive. It was also the only part that the dealer had in stock, all the rest (except 2 screws coming from Germany 1 week) had to be shipped in from the warehouse which takes 1 day.

If you are doing a major overhaul on your motor you have to remove a trim panel bolted to the bottom of the car this was discussed in another thread. There is a yellow plastic clip that is pushed into the frame and has a hole for a bolt. This is part number 001-991-39-70 and there are 4 with a cost of $1.03 each.

There is also a bolt that threads into the above part which is pn 005-990-69-12 and cost .75 cents each.

I also ordered two screws which now for the life of me I cannot remember where they go! 005-990-61-12 likely under some panel I just installed.....

They were back ordered and are travelling from Germany. All the other parts were special ordered except the MB trim plugs which were stocked at the dealer. If you think you are going to pull up the carpet I'd suggest perhaps picking up one of those large plugs as MB head office only had 5 and I bought 2 of them.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Yes, I've pulled the trim before several times so I'm familiar with it. (I was very careful when prying the panel). Is it complete with that one part number like I suspected?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I've pulled the trim before several times so I'm familiar with it. (I was very careful when prying the panel). Is it complete with that one part number like I suspected?
Yes the replacement part is now 1 piece, it attaches to the plastic trim by sliding the flat end into a slot in the trim piece and is then the pointy end is pressed into the hole that is exposed when you remove the second piece of the old system. Just like most normal trim pieces...

The version I have in my smart are 2 separate pieces, one attached to the plastic trim and a second piece attached to the opposite side on the metal frame the part on the metal frame side has a little round nipple that locks into a hole in the piece that slides into the slot on the plastic trim. This is a lot more fragile than then replacement and it seems also no longer available at least through MB.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Thanks! I would have been searching for maybe an hour for you (I'm guessing), for something that isn't there.

Lots of experience looking in the wrong places on EPC, especially with older Benzes....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts