Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of selling my 2008 451 cabrio I’m looking to get a 453 2016-2017 ICE I have two questions I wear a size 14 shoe and I’m wondering if there is more room between the brake pedal and the carpet on the hump cause I almost wore a hole in my carpet cause my foot barely fit. And second is the dual clutch transmission that much better then the 451’s gearbox that thinks about shifting gears for a few minutes before it does?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Not certain about the shoe clearance but, yes, the 6 speed dual clutch transmission is much better. Not saying that it wouldn’t still benefit a bit from a pedal map install.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Size 14!!! Did you actually fit inside the 451, or by any chance are you related to Shaq???
Ok, all joking aside, I too wonder if the 453 has more room. I have yet to sit/drive one... but thinking I might
want to upgrade. I like the blue white combo, and a low mileage '16 model is what I am thinking of.
But I have to admit, unless the deal is a super one, my 451 is Aok.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Lots more room in the 453; although I can't judge it based upon my entirely average shoe size...
And the six speed automatic shifts just the way that you'd expect one to shift. (y)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Size 14!!! Did you actually fit inside the 451, or by any chance are you related to Shaq???
Ok, all joking aside, I too wonder if the 453 has more room. I have yet to sit/drive one... but thinking I might
want to upgrade. I like the blue white combo, and a low mileage '16 model is what I am thinking of.
But I have to admit, unless the deal is a super one, my 451 is Aok.
I was always very comfy in my 451 I found it to have more leg room and head room then my 2016 VW GTI just the small gap for the gas pedal if the brake was moved over to the left about 3 inches it would be so much better

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can you remove the driver's footrest for that left "gunboat" of yours; add an extension of the LH side of the brake pedal, and saw a bit off of the RH side?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you remove the driver's footrest for that left "gunboat" of yours; add an extension of the LH side of the brake pedal, and saw a bit off of the RH side?
can't do that lol the car is sold and I'll be picking up a new to me 453 in the spring or summer

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, before you go out and light up the torch....!
think about the ramifications if you get hit from behind, or from any where...
and even though you were not even in the car... when a lawyer discovers
a modified brake pedal... you will be at fault
JUST SAYIN

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2 Smart Cars a 2011 and a 2015 both Pures. On the 2011 I have the same thing worn carpet on the right side of my foot (its gone) and my shoe size is about 10. The carpet is completely worn off to the right of my shoe, area. I will say that recently I picked up the 2015 (in regards to 451 vs 453) and the mileage is incredible. I get 45 and 46 on the highway HOWEVER my 2011 with the same engine gets about 40 maybe 41 with about 103 thousand miles. Engine runs like new and I have used for 80 thousand miles regular gas (Mercedes CEO said once Smart can run on regular) (with Marvel Mystery Oil added). I do not believe one will realize anywhere near that mileage with a 453. Someone suggested that the ECU can be flashed on the 2011 to be similar mileage like the 2015 451

Phil

·
Registered
373 Posts
Fuel mileage?
I am regularly getting between 55, and 60 mpg out on the road...
But I'm the last driver that you'd ever want to have in front of you: I'm the "rolling 53 mph roadblock"! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well, before you go out and light up the torch....!
think about the ramifications if you get hit from behind, or from any where...
and even though you were not even in the car... when a lawyer discovers
a modified brake pedal... you will be at fault
JUST SAYIN
You're giving Lawyers a lot more credit than they deserve.
They're just as lazy, and not a bit smarter than any of us.
Would YOU waste your time poking around inside a wadded-up car?
neither would they.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm 6'5" with a size 15 shoe. I have owned both 451 and 453. I can say that the 453 felt a LOT roomier in all respects. I owned both for three years so no hole was worn in the carpet, but my feet felt a lot freer in the 453. And yes, you will like the 453 trans a LOT better than the 451. If you are tall and/or have big feet, don't get the manual. You don't want those flippers moving around down there more than they need to.

453 is a huge improvement over the 451. You won't be disappointed

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’m in the process of selling my 2008 451 cabrio I’m looking to get a 453 2016-2017 ICE I have two questions I wear a size 14 shoe and I’m wondering if there is more room between the brake pedal and the carpet on the hump cause I almost wore a hole in my carpet cause my foot barely fit. And second is the dual clutch transmission that much better then the 451’s gearbox that thinks about shifting gears for a few minutes before it does?
I was one of the first people to get an 08 smart. 125k miles sold it. 2017 flew to FL bought a 17. No comparison. 453 so much better in every way. transmission works great.

·
17,363 Posts
The DCT in the 453 is sublime. Lightning quick shifts (faster than any human can row their own) and unlike the 451, it doesn't appear to be programmed to throw you into the next gear as soon as it could.

From an enthusiast standpoint I would recommend the manual, however those cars are exceedingly rare and often will be pretty close to base spec. For example: You can't get an edition #1 as a manual. So if you want a loaded 453, you'll almost certainly have to go DCT unless you find a loaded manual unicorn. But again, the DCT of the 453 is far far superior to the 451's single clutch unit.

As for footwell space, the 453 has plenty of it. The 453 also has more conventional pedals that come down from the dash rather than sprouting out of the floor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts