Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a 451 in good condition with 1 exception: It will not start.

When inserting the key the radio and dash lights come on even with the key in the off position (not sure if this is normal but seems odd to me). When turning the key from position 1 to position 2 to start you can hear the starter click and attempt to engage but nothing happens. It is a single loud click and all of the lights and radio immediately shut off. Returning the key to the on position restores lights, radio, etc.

Battery has been checked and is good. Attempted a jump start anyway.
Starter motor has been removed and tested...seems to work just fine.
Attempted to turn the engine crank manually but it will not budge whatsoever (not sure if this is normal or not)
Attempted to drain the oil but that bolt seems like it is practically welded on. Checked oil in the oil filter. Did not find any metal or anything metallic looking.
The key fob will lock and unlock the doors. I do not see the key symbol on the instrument display. Only warning lights that stay on are battery, engine, and check gas cap
Just to be thorough I tried the reset mentioned in another thread of turning the key to position 1 and going through the gears and then back, turning the car off, and attempting to start. The car sounds like it is shifting mechanically and the dashboard indicators reflect this but nothing else happened.

I fear that the engine is seized up but hoping someone can give me another possibility like an immobilizer or bad ground or something that I may have missed.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You can try disconnecting the battery and removing the spark plugs to relieve compression, then you can spin the pulleys, which should cycle the crankshaft. If the engine is not seized, it should turn by hand with the spark plugs removed.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
^^^^Ditto, to the above comment. Still sounds like a bad battery. If you got a click. What is the voltage reading of it. Needs to be 12.4 volts or a little higher. How old is battery. How many miles are on your car.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the gears make any noises? Gear display on the dash show P or --- ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the quick responses.

To answer the questions asked:
When I turn the key I get a single rather loud mechanical click only. It sounds like the starter piston firing. Immediately all electronics shut off as do the lights inside the car.

I don't remember off-hand what the battery voltage was at the time. I can't read the label on the battery to determine the age either. I did try connecting a jump box to it and starting and got the same result. Mileage on the car is right at 80k.

The car has a battery disconnect switch installed. With the battery connected as soon as I turn the battery disconnect switch on I can hear a lot of noises coming from the back of the car. I am able to turn the key to Pos 1 (On) and cycle through all of the gears with my foot on the brake. The instrument display changes accordingly. I have tried starting it in both park and neutral. Both settings show the correct gear on the dash when selected.

Shouldn't the crank be able to be turned manually even with the spark plugs in? I went so far as to put a 2 foot breaker bar on it and could not budge it an inch.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You might be able to rotate the crankshaft with the plugs in, but in move cases, not by much. The plugs should really come out. If you can’t rotate the crankshaft with the plugs pulled I’m afraid it’s probably a seized block. If you can, it’s got to be something else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was about to remove the spark plugs when I discovered a rogue battery ground strap laying about inside the engine compartment. Is there a ground strap back there somewhere or just the one in the main footwell at the battery?

·
Registered
100 Posts
i just posted a problem that i had you say it will not start if you follow the advice posted about pulling the plugs and seeing if it is not seized it could be what i just had [ will not start ] my clutch actuator was bad and since car does not know what gear it is in ergo will not start if cluthc actuator is not the problem could be a reteach of tranny is needed so computer knows what gear you are in

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got around to pulling the plugs and trying to turn the crank manually...It's not budging an inch. I'm not the strongest person in the world but I'm north of 200lbs and bracing against the frame to keep from pushing myself across the floor so my guess is that it is seized up pretty solid.

Anyone have any other ideas or know what the over/under on cost is to have the engine torn apart?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Was it in neutral or park?
Finally got around to pulling the plugs and trying to turn the crank manually...It's not budging an inch. I'm not the strongest person in the world but I'm north of 200lbs and bracing against the frame to keep from pushing myself across the floor so my guess is that it is seized up pretty solid.

Anyone have any other ideas or know what the over/under on cost is to have the engine torn apart?

·
Registered
120 Posts
If the crankshaft will not turn at all, I think you've found your issue. The engine should turn over pretty easily, especially with a two foot breaker bar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts