Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 2016 smart pure with manual transmission, the sales person and service department said it could be flat towed. They even gave me the Blue ox base plate part number (new for 453) and I installed it. This forum asked if I did my homework. I call MercedesUSA and they said it could NOT be flat towed more than 30 miles. I questioned WHY and after a few days, the answer is the internal lube pump in the transmission only works when the engine is running. An external lube pump will not work. The 2016 smart and Renault Twingo are manufactured together in France. The engine and transmission are a joint venture with Renault and Nissan, built in Japan. Blue ox was also not aware the 453 couldn't be towed. Hopefully Mercedes learns from this. They killed a large customer base.

·
17,384 Posts
Hopefully Mercedes learns from this. They killed a large customer base.
Eh, I imagine only like 7-9% of American 453 sales will have a Manual, and of those manuals, even fewer will flat-tow...so they aren't cutting off too many people.

Can anyone confirm if the DCT can be flat-towed or not?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally manual transmissions would be splash lubricanted, but not in this case. There is a section in the transmission that is in a tube and the oil must be forced thru it. This is with the DCT as well. Mercedes took my smart back and gave me a full refund.

·
17,384 Posts
Well, that just genuinely sucks. Looks like only trailers for the 453. :/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With trailers you now have the weight of the 453 plus the weight of the trailer. There are flat towable cars with this weight. You need to hook up the trailer and then secure the 453 to the trailer. Now you also have the RV, 453 and the trailer to park. We have a Sprinter RV, so I think Mercedes shoot themselves in the foot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i'm in the same boat - have a 2016 smart with manual transmission - both the sales person and service department mech said it could be flat towed as they knew I wanted to pull it behind my motorhome - i've purchased all the part to flat tow - but having not installed anything yet - question to smartAPM - can be fixed - I really like the car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i'm in the same boat - have a 2016 smart with manual transmission - both the sales person and service department mech said it could be flat towed as they knew I wanted to pull it behind my motorhome - i've purchased all the part to flat tow - but having not installed anything yet - question to smartAPM - can be fixed - I really like the car.
Glad to hear you like the car! Unfortunately as it is not a feature built into the manual transmission there is no fix as the transmission is performing as designed. I apologize as I'm sure this is not the answer you were hoping for.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,697 Posts
I apologize as I'm sure this is not the answer you were hoping for.
"both the sales person and service department mech said it could be flat towed as they knew I wanted to pull it behind my motorhome" :shrug:

Sad that they don't know the product but, perhaps a BULLETIN to ALL smart Center Brand Managers would be in order?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mercedes needs to put pressure on Renault and Nissan, since it is their engine and transmission. Probably won't happen this year. Yes, they are fun to drive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am looking at a 2016 at the West Covina dealership and asked about flat towing. Just received this email (6/11/16):

"It will be flat towable, once you follow the directions that will be publicized by smart USA. That probably won't be made available for another few weeks to a month, but they are promising us that it will be made flat-towable."

Sender is their 'Brand Manager'. Sounds positive to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The title of this thread is now inaccurate (since the DCT is towable per MB). No longer appropriate as a sticky, either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the 453 is or is not flat towable can somebody please back this up with some written documentation!

It is all very well somebody saying they have heard it from some source or other, but written documentation would be of some basic help.

Many thanks.
Alan

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found the Daimler Benz representative's comments on line earlier today.

"After delivery of my new 2016 Smart I noted that the manual prohibits flat towing the unit in excess of 30mph for a max distance of 30 miles. I called the dealer, who had told me prior to the sale that flat towing was no problem, and asked him to clarify the manual statement and asked for a cancellation of the sale and reimbursement of money.
After some extensive correspondence with the dealer, the US Mercedes rep. and the factory, I received the following Email

"Subject: RE: The Owner’s Manual provided with my 2016 Smart car states that one should not... [Incident: 160702-000009]

Gentlemen,

I just received the following from Product Management:

This is an ongoing topic. The bad news: it is correct that the current owner’s manual states that the smart fortwo can only be towed in emergencies (the 30 miles).

The good news: we have received confirmation/approval from Germany that the smart fortwo CAN be flat-towed over longer distances (like behind an RV). Germany is currently working on the exact wording for the owner’s manual and the instructions, which we expect by the end of this month. Important: the car needs a DCT – Dual Clutch Twinamic (automatic transmission) – the manual das not work. Is that the case for this customer?
If so, he can use his car for towing and it will be fine. More information to follow very soon – we will send around communication once we have received the final instructions by Germany."

jimboe

·
Registered
3 Posts
The good news: we have received confirmation/approval from Germany that the smart fortwo CAN be flat-towed over longer distances (like behind an RV). Germany is currently working on the exact wording for the owner’s manual and the instructions, which we expect by the end of this month. Important: the car needs a DCT – Dual Clutch Twinamic (automatic transmission) – the manual das not work. Is that the case for this customer?[/FONT][/COLOR][/I]
If so, he can use his car for towing and it will be fine. More information to follow very soon – we will send around communication once we have received the final instructions by Germany."

jimboe
jimboe, I look forward to seeing the official statement.

I do not understand the current reply as I understand a Dual clutch gearbox always has the next gear selected - so when the first clutch is engaged in neutral the second clutch already has gear 1 selected but held unengaged, although I do not know how the second clutch is unengaged? It may be held off electronically or hydraulically by oil pressure? Either way I could foresee one or other clutch engaging by default when the ignition is off or the engine is not producing oil pressure. I would have expected the manual gearbox to be OK in neutral?
We have towed a DSG/DCT in the UK and destroyed the engine/gearbox casing at a cost of £5,500 after 130 miles.
Please post a copy of an original document when you have one. Thanks.

Smart-Tow.com

1 - 20 of 26 Posts