Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mike700
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some hot weather here - at least by Chicago standards. Mid 90's plus high humidity. The A/C on my 453 is just barely adequate. The A/C on my prior 451 did a better job of keeping the car cool. Also, the radiator fan on the 453 is quite a bit louder. Curious to hear from some 453 owners out West how well the 453 A/C keeps your car cool.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Some hot weather here - at least by Chicago standards. Mid 90's plus high humidity. The A/C on my 453 is just barely adequate. The A/C on my prior 451 did a better job of keeping the car cool. Also, the radiator fan on the 453 is quite a bit louder. Curious to hear from some 453 owners out West how well the 453 A/C keeps your car cool.
At 90 degrees my 453 gets really cold. Above that it is just adequate

·
Registered
430 Posts
Personally I find the A/C in the 453 weak. But to me it was to be expected in a car with 90 horsepower, and an unconventional cooling system.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,561 Posts
I am quite pleased with the a/c in my 451......and only 70 horsepower. I live in Florida where the humidity is usually higher than the temperature.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had read about this as being a potential issue. I have found that it does seem to take a few minutes longer to cool down if it is over 90 degrees.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Agreed. A/C is "just okay" with that radiator fan obnoxiously loud. Carolina temps settling in next to 100 with plenty of humidity.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
Agreed. A/C is "just okay" with that radiator fan obnoxiously loud.
BUT, 451 or 453 smart IS WHAT IT IS?

This is not a normal car as it has lots of glass and the noisy radiator fan is not that far from your feet. It is a plastic car with little insulation and limited displacement so as to provide better gas mileage - NOT a plush Cadillac ride. :shrug:

·
Registered
451 Posts
BUT, 451 or 453 smart IS WHAT IT IS?

This is not a normal car with lots of glass and the noisy radiator fan is not that far from your feet. It is a plastic car with little insulation and limited displacement so as to provide better gas mileage - NOT a plush Cadillac ride. :shrug:
Exactly.

Make the car well insulated (and heavy) and all those other things and the gas mileage goes down and people b!tch. Make the car lighter and noisier and it's too loud.

Some people are never happy.

Every car is a compromise in some way. Learn what those are before you buy it so we don't have to constantly hear about the result of your uninformed decision.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I beg to differ, but that fan is so freaking loud I have to holler at mom over the racket! Car size, lots of glass, whatever has nothing to do with an overly noisy radiator fan. But, as I always seem to have wrong and incorrect opinions on this site, it's neither here nor there. Shrugs back at ya.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
Not begging nor differing - but something could be amiss mechanically?

Have you owned since new? Was it always loud? Have you had anyone check it out?

If you have a bent or broken fan blade this could spell disaster for your cooling system and smarts have proven to have a low tolerance for heat.

·
Registered
409 Posts
my 451 was fine, even in florida heat.. even in 451 cab..

the 453 AC turns on.. off... luke warm.. not cold

its NEVER "cold".. its always as if it's mixing it with outside air... unfortunate.. i drive around on high all day, but if u give it gas it turns off the condensor to save 3cents of gas.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
my 451 was fine, even in florida heat.. even in 451 cab..

the 453 AC turns on.. off... luke warm.. not cold

its NEVER "cold".. its always as if it's mixing it with outside air... unfortunate.. i drive around on high all day, but if u give it gas it turns off the condensor to save 3cents of gas.
.... maybe try NOT flooring it constantly? We've had some low to mid 90 degree days up here in PA already, and the AC seemed to cool quite nicely. Yes, it took a little bit to get it there, but it got cold. Of course if you're in stop-and-go traffic, it's not going to do much.

And you could always try pressing the recirculate button, so you're using the slightly cooler air inside the car to try to cool everything down instead of the 90-some degree weather outside.

skoone68 said:
Agreed. A/C is "just okay" with that radiator fan obnoxiously loud.
.... uuhm.... it's an electric fan. you're not just hearing the loud rush of air as if it were a belt-driven fan powered by the running motor. Doesn't seem any louder than any other electric automotive fan I've heard, even standing in front of the car.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I rode in Ron's 453 today and the outside temp. was in the high 90's in the LA area. The A/C worked find. He had it set on "Auto" and it seemed to do the job just fine.
Also, while driving back from the Nationals in my 08 Passion Coupe, the A/C outlet temp. was between 50-60 deg. F. Things got a little warmer in the 117 deg. outside temps. we experienced around Mesquite, NV.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts