Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOTE: This is not a 451. This has the turbo eng. and dual clutch trans.
I'm wondering what should be done besides oil & filter change and fluid level checks at 16,000 mi. Recommended Mercedes maintenance was done at 6,400 mi. Last Mercedes Dealer service was done at 8,300 mi. on 04/2018, including oil & filter change and Maintenance Reminder reset. Oil & filter was changed again at 12,200 mi. on 08/2018 by the Nissan dealer I bought it from, without Reminder reset. I don't know what kind of oil they put in it. Owners Service Manual lists the following for every service but doesn't say which should be done at what mileage:
Oil & Filter - change
Brake Fluid - check
Brake pads/linings - check
Engine & Cab air filters
Spark Plugs
Coolant
Poly V Belt

My questions are these:
1. It may be early to change the oil, but regardless what else should be done at 16,000 and then 26,000, besides fluid level and brake checks?
2. IMPORTANT. At what mileage should the Poly V Belt be changed? What does this belt drive - A/C, alternator, cam? There is only one belt on the engine, correct? There is no belt on the turbo, correct?
3. 04/2018 Mercedes Service says "Water separator serviced." Huh? This is not a diesel. There is no water separator is there?
4. At what mileage should Spark Plugs be changed?

Well, there's plenty of fodder for discussion. Anyone? :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
NOTE: This is not a 451. This has the turbo eng. and dual clutch trans.
I'm wondering what should be done besides oil & filter change and fluid level checks at 16,000 mi. Recommended Mercedes maintenance was done at 6,400 mi. Last Mercedes Dealer service was done at 8,300 mi. on 04/2018, including oil & filter change and Maintenance Reminder reset. Oil & filter was changed again at 12,200 mi. on 08/2018 by the Nissan dealer I bought it from, without Reminder reset. I don't know what kind of oil they put in it. Owners Service Manual lists the following for every service but doesn't say which should be done at what mileage:
Oil & Filter - change
Brake Fluid - check
Brake pads/linings - check
Engine & Cab air filters
Spark Plugs
Coolant
Poly V Belt

My questions are these:
1. It may be early to change the oil, but regardless what else should be done at 16,000 and then 26,000, besides fluid level and brake checks?
2. IMPORTANT. At what mileage should the Poly V Belt be changed? What does this belt drive - A/C, alternator, cam? There is only one belt on the engine, correct? There is no belt on the turbo, correct?
3. 04/2018 Mercedes Service says "Water separator serviced." Huh? This is not a diesel. There is no water separator is there?
4. At what mileage should Spark Plugs be changed?

Well, there's plenty of fodder for discussion. Anyone? :)
Oil was changed at 12k; let it go to 20k, change oil and filter and reset the service reminder by holding the OK button for 30 sec. That will line you up for 10K interval services.

Oil & Filter - 10K or every year
Brake Fluid - check level, usually topped off when doing brake pads/rotors
Brake pads/linings - check - remove wheel, 4mm or less change pads, rotors are usually good for two sets of pads
Engine & Cab air filters - change engine air filter with oil changes; cabin filter every year in humid climates
Spark Plugs - change at 30k
Coolant - 3 years, make sure to get the air out
Poly V Belt - ?

Having a 453 and two 450s it helps to line them up at nice 10k intervals but depending on the use of each one, it usually comes down to 'Every Year' on the fluids / filters.

Also, with the future servicing / support in question mark your calendar for your 4 year / 40,000 mile end date for your 453.
Yes, that MB / Smart service will be expensive but it may be the last time you can get all the 'latest' software updates. I'd even order 4 quarts of the factory gear oil and change it myself at this service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts