Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right latch on my tailgate doesn't latch (close) when I close the tailgate. The door ajar light and dome light stay on and the car won't lock. If I reach back and pull the tailgate in the lights go off but if I push on the tailgate from the inside the right corner opens and the lights come back on. Can these latches be adjusted or lubricated? I can't see any damage to the latch. When I push it with my finger it will not click into the locked position like the latch on the left does. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The right latch on my tailgate doesn't latch (close) when I close the tailgate. The door ajar light and dome light stay on and the car won't lock. If I reach back and pull the tailgate in the lights go off but if I push on the tailgate from the inside the right corner opens and the lights come back on. Can these latches be adjusted or lubricated? I can't see any damage to the latch. When I push it with my finger it will not click into the locked position like the latch on the left does. Any suggestions?
You could try some white lithium to see if it makes a difference. I would push the latch and see if it operating correctly while it's down. You may find one of the latches is bent or caught up on some dried lubrication.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you, I will try lubricating the latch. I've been trying to work it manually with the tailgate down but can't get it to click into the locked position and stay. Nothing appears to be bent or broken. Are there cables inside the tailgate that can be lubricated and if so does anyone know how to access them?

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
If you've got a dealer nearby and you're still under warranty, let them fix it.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 9,500 miles

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks but the dealer is an hour and a half away and I'm not able to get the car in right now. After having the tailgate pop open while I was going down the road yesterday I figured I better look into it. I took the tailgate apart and lubricated all the cables and any other moving parts I could find. The first time I tried this the right latch was still sticking open so I did it again and the second time I lubed the plastic piece that the electric actuator engages to pull the cables and the latch started working!

It's interesting how these cars are put together. I've never had to pull exterior body panels off to get at things before. It was intimidating at first but turned out to be very easy.

John
2017 Prime Cabrio

·
Registered
19 Posts
That you, I will try lubricating the latch. I've been trying to work it manually with the tailgate down but can't get it to click into the locked position and stay. Nothing appears to be bent or broken. Are there cables inside the tailgate that can be lubricated and if so does anyone know how to access them?
Have you had a chance to give it a shot?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check the rubber molding that goes around the inside of the tailgate housing. Mine was pulled out by the dealer and not properly seated. It was almost imperceptible. I only noticed it because I saw the hatch wasn't flush with the body. Once I reseated it, everything was fine.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts