Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a 453 display showing NINE body panel colors and FIVE Tridion colors. (We've been told there would be EIGHT Body panel colors.)

What combos do you like?

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1406430200.839642.jpg

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Panel colors are: White, Silver, Orange, Brown, Yellow, Gray, Red, Blue, and Black.

Tridion colors are: Silver, Black, Gray, Orange, and White.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
My guess is that the copper color is the brown mentioned above. The yellow is not yellow...it is gold. The orange and yellow are muted by the metallic presence.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Since the cell has a goofy curve in the rear i'd like to see it the same color as the body.

The white looks very nice, orange is nice too, and i prefer the black grill, it makes the smart emblem pop/stand out and matches the bottom grill color and headlights (too bad there is no projector lens and instead the cheap reflector accents that accompany a stuck out bulb)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the nonmetallics, i.e., through-body panel colors, will be red, white, blue, and black. For practical reasons, I prefer the nonmetallics, since panel gouges and scratches would be less visible.

Looks like the grille colors include white, silver, and black. But I wonder if the grille color range might include all five Tridion colors?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I had to point something out...

These little plastic models for colors all look like 12 different colors to me! What I see are...

Matte White / Silver / Lava Orange
Copper / Metallic Yellow / Grey
Candy Red / Matte Grey / Midnight Blue
Black / White / Bright Red

There are definitely 5 distinct colors of the Tridion:
Silver, Black, Grey, White and Lava Orange.

I have to say, that wall looks like 12 different colors to me! Which is fantastic news!

One odd thing I did notice - the little wheels on those models are the old 3-lug, 12-spoke wheels from the current 451.

I'd like to see the Black panels with a Silver Tridion - I have some great ideas with red pinstriping I'd like to try out like I did on the Smart in Forza 4.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As usual (and with no raised eyebrow at MBZ), we're getting at least two different stories/signals. The official statement was eight colors for the 4/2 and nine colors for the 4/4. Maybe some are launch-edition only, or for different markets? :dunno:

Notice that, for the display, the roof panels are body-colored. Base trim, maybe?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As usual (and with no raised eyebrow at MBZ), we're getting at least two different stories/signals. The official statement was eight colors for the 4/2 and nine colors for the 4/4. Maybe some are launch-edition only, or for different markets? :dunno:

Notice that, for the display, the roof panels are body-colored. Base trim, maybe?
I'd be willing to bet that the Yellow and Lava Orange will be gone after a couple years just like some early 451 colors disappeared before. Hoping that the Midnight Blue sticks around this time, because I didn't love the pale sky-blue that replaced it. That Copper color may also be gone too, because...

That would leave the rest of the lineup very Mercedes-Benz-like in their color options: a couple of Reds, anything in the range of White-Silver-Grey-Black, and maybe a special color mixed in later on.

I can't see a color being a ForFour exclusive because the part of the plant that makes all the panels paints the panels too. Why would they hold back color options on the ForTwo just to make the ForFour desirable when we won't ever see it? (Of course, I say that now, but you never know.)

Remember, there are a million ways to make a "Special Edition"! We'll see a plethora of colors come and go.

* What I don't see is any remotely close variation of Green, either panels or Tridion. I'd guess they're holding that back for the Smart ED like now.

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
... because the part of the plant that makes all the panels paints the panels too.
The forfour is not made at the smart plant in Hambach. It's made at the Renault plant in Novo Mesto, Slovenia. :)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ But where are the panels made? I can't imagine there would be two separate factories for panel fabrication. Are they outsourced, or manufactured internally?

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Not at Hambach, which I think Skippy was alluding to. My guess is the forfour panels will be made at or close to the Twingo plant. Not really an issue for US smart owners.... :)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
^ But where are the panels made? Are they outsourced, or manufactured internally?
Outsourced, just-in-time . . .

Close links to suppliers
The park is home to a number of suppliers delivering individual parts and completed modules to the production line in both just-in-time and just-in-sequence arrangements. These include Magna Steyr (providing the Tridion safety body frame), Plastal (customised body panels), Continental (cockpit), Magna Uniport (doors and tailgate) and ThyssenKrupp (drivetrain). Panopa acts as a logistics centre for small assembly parts, while MLT operates distribution.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The forfour is not made at the smart plant in Hambach. It's made at the Renault plant in Novo Mesto, Slovenia. :)
Things I didn't know! I thought the ForTwo and ForFour were born in the same place.

^ But where are the panels made? I can't imagine there would be two separate factories for panel fabrication. Are they outsourced, or manufactured internally?
That's more of what I was hinting at. I was under the assumption that since some of the panels are so close, the production for plastic panels may be shared between the ForTwo and ForFour. The grilles, air intake, lights and front clip are almost identical across both cars, so I figured they'd come out of the same place.

Not at Hambach, which I think Skippy was alluding to. My guess is the forfour panels will be made at or close to the Twingo plant. Not really an issue for US smart owners.... :)
Right. I thought the panels would be shaped and molded at the same time at the same place. Kind of like Saturn that made a Sedan / Coupe / Wagon all out of the same factory using many shared parts when the S-Series was the focus from 1991-2002. The beads to make the panels were melted and molded in one place, and the machines to stamp them into panels for the specific cars were all together.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Well, from what I felt, the Forfour`s body panels are not the same as the Fortwo`s plastic body panels....

1 - 20 of 83 Posts