Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
453: "Econ" vs. "Sport" mode

The DCT has two modes: Econ and Sport. Mercedes-Benz claim 0-60 in 10.5 seconds with the DCT, but they don't clarify the transmission mode used to get that figure. Econ is the default mode, and presumably Is the mode used for EPA fuel economy testing. Would you then assume that the claimed acceleration time is in Econ mode? If so, it'll be interesting to see how acceleration would improve in Sport mode. Odd that no media have mentioned this. Maybe the Econ mode is the reason that the DCT is .4 seconds slower to 60 than the manual transmission? Ordinarily, the DCT should be the quicker of the two. On my test ride, we didn't use Sport mode, but my driver (who had previously tried it) said that it felt noticeably quicker.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't think so. The 0-60 time published on any car is the fastest time during their testing so with that being said, it should be done in sport mode.

This is just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My feeling is that in real world driving, the DCT transmission will be quicker. How many people driving a manual transmission smart would want to or know how to speed shift a manual transmission to get the lowest et's or 0 to 60mph times?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
In Sport mode, it will be slow. In Econ mode it will be slower. Especially after driving a Abarth.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In Sport mode, it will be slow. In Econ mode it will be slower. Especially after driving a Abarth.

hahahaha very true. I have a 14 GQ which is the trim level over an Abarth. After driving the GQ for a while wow its different getting in my smart. I will say tho, both great to drive but my smart still makes me smile a lot more than the Fiat.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 14 GQ... but my smart still makes me smile a lot more than the Fiat.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I love my Abarth. It's been an entertaining car that has performed flawlessly, and one which I'd recommend with no hesitation.

But there is still something about a smart – nothing at all to do with speed – that makes me feel good in a way that the Abarth couldn't.

Sometimes our choices can't be determined by a generic laundry list of best and worst features.

·
Registered
912 Posts
With "sport" vs "econ" switches in other vehicles, "econ" is overridden if you mash the accelerator all the way to the floor (so no difference to wide-open acceleration), and "sport" MAY be overridden if you set the cruise control (but not all vehicles do that).

If anything, it changes the part-throttle shift schedule so that it holds a lower gear (revs higher) so that it can respond quicker to a throttle input.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Unless smart allows the engine to rev higher and the transmission to shift faster in Sport mode (neither of which is terribly common in the lower-end vehicle market) when the accelerator is mashed to the floor, then Econ mode will be just as fast as Sport mode. Generally speaking, cars that offer a sport mode just make the throttle more sensitive to accelerator pedal inputs and delay automatic upshifts till a higher RPM is reached. You really only see marked differences between various 'econ' and 'sport' modes (e.g., faster transmission shifts, which is just about the only thing that will quicken acceleration) in more expensive cars.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Econ and Sport modes are the same if you are flooring the pedals. The car will temporarily figure out that you need speed and power even in Econ mode. But, it will be a step slower to figure that out initially.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Econ and Sport modes are the same if you are flooring the pedals. The car will temporarily figure out that you need speed and power even in Econ mode. But, it will be a step slower to figure that out initially.

If true, that begs the question – why two modes then? Fuel economy?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
'Econ' and 'Sport' modes exist as an adjustment to shifting parameters. You don't have to have such a heavy focus on throttle pressure and position. If you want 'Sport' you have more pedal range to keep your rpms up in Sport mode. You could keep the rpms up the same way in 'Econ' mode, but you might have to literally floor it and keep steady pressure there to keep your rpms up.

It's typical transmission programming not exclusive to MB or the new smart.

You can drive the current 451 without the Sport and Econ modes and pretty much accomplish the same thing. :)

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I would say "yes"...

Not really any different than the current smart. If you're light on the pedal, the ECU will have you in 5th gear by 35 mph! IMHO, that's insane... and, I believe, part of the reason for the burnt valve issue folks are seeing. I don't beat on my smart, but I'm more aggressive with the throttle than probably 75% of folks. I don't take it easy, and I have no issues running 80 mph on the freeway. I personally think the lugging that is caused by the short shifting programming is to blame for most of the cylinder heat issues. If you understand the physics behind an engine lugging, you realize it's very hard on parts, and causes elevated combustion temps. I do all I can to avoid lugging any engine. Even dropping the smart into manual mode to keep the revs up in traffic.

I certainly hope MB took that into account while programming the DCT. Otherwise, I see the same issue happening in the new engine. Maybe even worse because it's a turbo... Exhaust valves take a real beating in a turbo motor...

·
Registered
244 Posts
The DCT has two modes: Econ and Sport. Mercedes-Benz claim 0-60 in 10.5 seconds with the DCT, but they don't clarify the transmission mode used to get that figure. Econ is the default mode, and presumably Is the mode used for EPA fuel economy testing. Would you then assume that the claimed acceleration time is in Econ mode? If so, it'll be interesting to see how acceleration would improve in Sport mode. Odd that no media have mentioned this. Maybe the Econ mode is the reason that the DCT is .4 seconds slower to 60 than the manual transmission? Ordinarily, the DCT should be the quicker of the two. On my test ride, we didn't use Sport mode, but my driver (who had previously tried it) said that it felt noticeably quicker.
Have been driving in s mode in the city. trying to get a feel on how many others do the same. Is there much difference in fuel economy? have never really checked.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
453: "Econ" vs. "Sport" mode

Is there much difference in fuel economy? have never really checked.

It'd be nearly impossible for any individual to measure differences in fuel economy between ECO and SPORT modes with any accuracy.

Even if one were to drive the same route (and nothing but that route), alternating drive mode from one week to the next, there's no guarantee that the scenario of the route, i.e., mostly freeway or mostly city, etc. would be replicable with a different driving scenario, or other factors like changes in weather, HVAC usage, traffic conditions, etc. Also, power delivery and shift point management might produce, for example, a greater disparity in fuel economy at urban speeds up and little-to-no disparity on the freeway.

Best to base your usage on the fact that ECO mode was optimized for the EPA test cycle, and to achieve MPGs that would be impressive to prospective buyers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm not sure if it's faster but I do enjoy the sportier engine braking.

On a similar note I'm looking for the Brabus launch control method, I was sure I'd seen it online before, anyone else?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Found some mention here

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

"It also features a Race Start function, which automatically sets the optimal rpm and clutch slip for maximum acceleration from rest. To use the Race Start function, the driver simply needs to release the brake pedal after previously depressing it and flooring the accelerator."

I've seen another source that stated a time limit between attempts.. I think.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 453 Brabus shifts higher in the RPM and quicker in Sport mode.
The biggest difference is that in economy mode it cruises at under 2k RPM and in Sport mode it cruises at 2200 RPM. This makes it more responsive to throttle since full boost is at 2000 RPM.

But on my car the shifting is quick at full throttle in either mode just slightly more quick engagement in Sport mode.

After driving a remapped 450 for 12 years I am really impressed with the new clutch and transmission combination. Wish I could put it into a 450 and see how that worked.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The sport mode alters the shift timing and down kick. I normally spend the week in eco mode for my highway driving. But in bumper to bumper short jumps, I'll put in sport. I found it holds the lower gear until the proper tork hits. And she will jump from a stop. I also noticed the clutch grab is different. I don't have numbers per say. I have noticed that it will take more fuel because I'm demanding more power to the wheels.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts