Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
EPA-rated range could be as high as 85 miles per charge, the engineers hinted.
Which would be disappointing as previously "the range" was suggested to be 200 km or 124 miles? :shrug:

7.2 kW on board charger would be a welcome upgrade!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Which would be disappointing as previously "the range" was suggested to be 200 km or 124 miles? :shrug:

7.2 kW on board charger would be a welcome upgrade!
Well, don't panic, yet. Prototypes are usually scaled down conservative versions of their final release. I hope they'll offer the largest battery capacity with the upcoming smart. The 200 km/124 miles is a Euro rating, which always greatly exceeds what ratings the EPA provides.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The article was mostly fluff, with not much content.

I was looking for info on changes to regen protocol (hoping for i3 full regen all the time). No mention of paddles.

Also wondering if extra sound deadening will be added to contribute to the quiet experience. Also interesting was the switch to standard Michelin 15" tires, likely to mitigate road harshness/noise.

Onboard charger, nice.

Will the BAP program get axed?

The article said that a green Tridion would be offered again, but didn't Keith already tell us 'no' to that?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a screen capture of the central pod to see what information it might offer:

This was undoubtedly taken in Arizona during the referenced testing. It was 6 PM with an ambient temp. of 39°C or 102°F.

The pod shows 72% remaining battery charge, and it appears that there are 65 km of range remaining.

My poor math skills indicate, under the likely-aggressive testing conditions in the Arizona heat, a total range of 90 km or 56 miles.

If accurate, what could that mean in ordinary use?

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I did a screen capture of the central pod to see what information it might offer:

This was undoubtedly taken in Arizona during the referenced testing. It was 6 PM with an ambient temp. of 39°C or 102°F.

The pod shows 72% remaining battery charge, and it appears that there are 65 km of range remaining.

My poor math skills indicate, under the likely-aggressive testing conditions in the Arizona heat, a total range of 90 km or 56 miles.

If accurate, what could that mean in ordinary use?
Range estimates on the fuel gauges will change wildly depending on whether or not the air conditioner or heater is on at the time, whether the car is sitting still or in motion, how much throttle pressure might be applied at the given moment, how the car has been utilized in the recent past... a single screenshot isn't indicative of much. There is certainly going to be significantly more driving range than 56 miles.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is certainly going to be significantly more driving range than 56 miles.

Right. Your point is more than obvious, of course.

That's why I emphasized the harsh conditions, but then wondered – if that's the worst possible, then what might be the best?

To begin to extrapolate, what's the worst warm-weather range you might expect from a 451 ED?

This is just fun speculation; nothing serious!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Right. Your point is more than obvious, of course.

That's why I emphasized the harsh conditions, but then wondered – if that's the worst possible, then what might be the best?

To begin to extrapolate, what's the worst warm-weather range you might expect from a 451 ED?

This is just fun speculation; nothing serious!
The absolute worst I expect? You mean, running the battery until it TRULY dies? Or running the battery until I'm too scared to keep driving?

Too scared to keep driving? 75 miles, under some freeway driving, air conditioner usage, very gentle upslope driving intermittently, etc,.
TRULY DIES? Maybe 80 miles.

Some conditions I could have probably driven the car 90 miles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The article was mostly fluff, with not much content.

I was looking for info on changes to regen protocol (hoping for i3 full regen all the time). No mention of paddles.

Also wondering if extra sound deadening will be added to contribute to the quiet experience. Also interesting was the switch to standard Michelin 15" tires, likely to mitigate road harshness/noise.

Onboard charger, nice.

Will the BAP program get axed?

The article said that a green Tridion would be offered again, but didn't Keith already tell us 'no' to that?

Electric Green Metallic tridion will be exclusive to the ED, so it's no to the gas version.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,762 Posts
Another first ride impression, this time from Motor1.com:
Most notable NEW information (IF made available stateside)...

"A forthcoming 22-kWh onboard charger is expected to halve that time, enabling fill-ups of about an hour in length—and Smart would be keen to charge a Tesla-tiered premium for it. The quick charging would make the ForTwo ED an actual game changer, in a world of eight-hour fill-ups for the pleasure of 60 or so miles of range."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts