Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, I have been refueling my 453 when it is at the half-full point (four bars remaining on the fuel gauge) and recording the mileage between bars.

I kept things fairly constant by not using AC and not taking any sidetrips (no grocery store stops or drive-thrus, etc). Only drove my 453 directly to work and then directly back home on the same route.

RESULTS: The 453 tank gauge has been consistently within one mile of all of its previous bar-to-bar readings.

Over the last three consecutive fill-ups:

From the seventh bar down to the sixth bar has given me the same number of miles each time.
The sixth bar to the fifth bar has been the same or within one mile on each of the three fill-ups.
Same results for the fifth bar down to the fourth bar: within +/- 1 mile.

This experiment might be tough for others to try (and/or not worth the bother). At work, I park in covered parking, so I don't need to use AC in the summer. Second, have to use a second car to run errands (etc.) instead using of the 453. Third, seeing when the bars tick down can be distracting, but just point a GoPro camera at the dash. Play it back later to see the mileage when the bar dropped.

The 453 mileage & gauge consistency on my car is remarkable given that it's just an analogue float in the tank!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Experimenting continued in city driving; more observations to share about my 453 tank.

This time, I collected data on the lower half of the tank for three consecutive trials.

RESULTS: The original 453 tank is very consistent on most of the lower bar intervals:

The fourth bar down to the third bar has been within 0.2 miles each time.
The third bar down to the second bar has been within 0.5 miles each time.
The second bar down to the first bar has been within 0.6 miles each time.

Only one interval has not been consistent: the last bar down to the 1.3 gal warning beeping. This interval has varied as much as 7 miles.

I excluded the eighth bar down to the seventh bar because mileage was affected how much gas was filled before inconsistent pump shut-off (no slow filling). Out of all the other bars:

-The second bar down to the first bar yielded the most mileage for me each time.
-And, the seventh bar to the sixth bar consistently yielded the least mileage.

btw: I italicized the word "bar" so that it wouldn't be thought I was concocting my data while driving from tavern to tavern, lol!

That ends my 453 experiment and data collection. I’m looking forward to using AC again, running errands in the 453, and not tracking the data anymore. However, I probably will collect data again if/when the official 453 tank “fix” is done.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I excluded the eighth bar down to the seventh bar because mileage was affected how much gas was filled before inconsistent pump shut-off (no slow filling).
Even though I've been getting different amounts of mileage for my eighth bar, I notice a consistent data pattern: When the eighth bar disappears from the display, there are approx. 6.0 gallons remaining (assuming there isn't more than 1.3 gallons in the reserve).

Example:
Low fuel indicator says 1.3 gallons remaining
+ Fill-up of 5.6 gallons
= 6.9 gallons

Eighth bar disappears after 38 miles at 41 mpg (approx. 0.9 gallons used)
6.9 - 0.9 = 6.0 gallons

Therefore, a sensor is probably aligned at this 6.0 gallon point in my tank level to remove the eighth bar from the display. My guesstimates for the other bars disappearing from the display are at 5.5 gal, 4.8 gal, 4.1 gal, 3.4 gal, 2.7 gal, 2.0 gal, and of course the warning at 1.3 gal remaining.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Over the last month I have been continuing to track my fills and monitor the gas gauge: I've been filling 5.4 gallons + 1.3 reserve = 6.7 gallons. Each time with those 5.4 gallons, my 453 consistently drives approximately 211-217 miles in mixed city/hwy driving.

Usually the eighth bar disappears after 33-39 miles of driving. On my last fill-up, the eighth bar lasted 68 miles before finally disappearing. (May have been caused by parking on a hill with a full tank?). However, the car still only drove 219 miles before the low fuel warning sounded at 1.3 gallons remaining.

Knowing the expected mileage 211-217mi of a tank has allowed me to plan many days in advance when I'll need refuel, which is usually each week.

·
Banned
844 Posts
don't know where you "is", but running where it's warm enough to run A/C and not running it, i would get 50mpgs with my '08 smart and i would hit 2 bars around 300 miles and know i had about 150 miles left to go. i've only run mine to no bars twice, knowing the fuel cools the fuel pump, usually fill at 2-3 bars. by the looks of things, you're only getting about 40mpgs. maybe it'll get better when it's broken in. my first tank in chicago in january was 38mpgs, and it only got better after that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
40 mpg is what my 453 has been consistently giving me in my usual work commute route. I'm happy with that mpg. Looking forward to any boost in mpg with time.

As far as the cooling the fuel pump: I think it's okay in my 453 to burn the gas down to zero bars: at this point there are still about 3 gallons of fuel still inside the tank (1.3 gallon reserve + about 2 gallons of fuel that don't register on the gauge) to do the cooling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts