Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice I've shut my *lower* hatch so gently that one latch hasn't caught completely. Doing so causes a faint rattle while driving, but there isn't a hatch-open warning alert. If you hear a small rattle, check to be sure that your hatch is tightly closed.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm betting there's an adjustment point there...somewhere...

It works fine – no adjustment necessary. I just didn't push it all the way closed. The only point of the thread was if you hear a rattle, check your hatch.

BTW, the car is so airtight that you really have to slam the doors to close them if you don't have a window cracked. Just like an old VW Beetle!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Had an '87 VW Golf as my first car. Also had the air-tight doors. Same with the 451 and 453. Always forget that i don't have to close my door as hard if someone is still getting out of the passenger side.

But yea... i still close the tailgate and glass hatch on my 453 like i did on the 451. Kinda just flip the tailgate up and give it a quick shove at the last 2 inches or so before it's closed to make sure it latches entirely, then just kinda slam the glass down like i used to.

As far as rattles go... only thing i tend to hear rattle on my 453 is the passenger side sun visor, and on occasion the smartphone dock (especially if i don't retract the arms).

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 453 is completely rattle-free... except due to MY own carelessness.

MY 451 developed a wind whistle at the leading edge of the pano roof, but it never rattled, either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts