Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello smart people. Our new 453 has stock headlight bulbs and I'm looking for LED drop in replacement bulbs that work with the CANBUS system and also fit with little or no modification. I did a search here, and I didn't have any luck finding anything Thanks in advance

·
17,356 Posts
My 453 has working LED headlights. To get them to work I had to modify the grommets to allow venting the fans.

I don't drive the car in the rain so I can't say for moisture, but the lights look great!

I'll have to pull the car out of the garage, take some pics, and make a thread. :)

The lights I used were Auxbeam H4 8000lm LEDs from Amazon. I modified the grommets by drilling a giant hole to them and screwing a medium sized medicine bottle into the grommets. This extra space allows some breathing room. I then drilled a small hole into the bottom of the medicine bottle for venting.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 453 has working LED headlights. To get them to work I had to modify the grommets to allow venting the fans.

I don't drive the car in the rain so I can't say for moisture, but the lights look great!

I'll have to pull the car out of the garage, take some pics, and make a thread. :)

The lights I used were Auxbeam H4 8000lm LEDs from Amazon. I modified the grommets by drilling a giant hole to them and screwing a medium sized medicine bottle into the grommets. This extra space allows some breathing room. I then drilled a small hole into the bottom of the medicine bottle for venting.
Thanks for the note. I live in the Pacific Northwest were rain is our middle name
Hoping to find an option where there is no risk of moisture problems

·
Registered
783 Posts
I stand corrected...
H4 HB2 9003 G7 Hi/Lo 6500K Philips Lumileds ZES LED Headlight Conversion Kit

Sorry for the large font, don't know why.
Anyway, these lights are fantastic, they
are extremely well made and also allow

you to change the length of the bulb
portion (not necessary) and shorten
the heat sink distance (necessary).
They colour matches the led DRL exactly.
Price is excellent. This is what should come
as standard when the LED package is ordered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed the hikari Phillips version https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077B3SNJR/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The bulb fitted fine but had to make a slight cut at the bottom of the cover to run the wire out for the ballast. Cut it slightly offset so the wires give the bulb a bit of torque tension to keep the bulb straight and locked in.

So far no moisture issues gone thru many rainy days and high pressure car washes. No heating issues so far either but haven't gone thru real heated summer yet. I'm not to happy with the beam pattern tho, here are some pictures. View attachment 41396

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts