Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I suppose my question has been answered. ?
Apparently, nobody finds this "dead pedal" uncomfortable but me.
With my right foot resting on the gas, and my left on this dead pedal, my left knee is higher than my right. My 11 1/2 foot also fits between the brake and the dead pedal, but I have to angle it sideways. I find this positioning fatiguing.
Therefore, my only option is to continue to tinker with the seat height, angle, and my posture to find a long distance driving position that doesn't feel confining for my left leg.
Thanks for the input, fellow smart enthusiasts.
vehicles are not designed for your foot to be on the floor board between the brake and the dead pedal. the dead pedal is created for your left foot to rest on while driving.

if you dont like the feeling, hack saw your left foot off, or find another vehicle.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I suppose my question has been answered. ��
Apparently, nobody finds this "dead pedal" uncomfortable but me.
With my right foot resting on the gas, and my left on this dead pedal, my left knee is higher than my right. My 11 1/2 foot also fits between the brake and the dead pedal, but I have to angle it sideways. I find this positioning fatiguing.
Therefore, my only option is to continue to tinker with the seat height, angle, and my posture to find a long distance driving position that doesn't feel confining for my left leg.
Thanks for the input, fellow smart enthusiasts.
Really six, try the pillow between your knee and the door, it puts your leg in a slightly different position.......it REALLY helped both my arthritic knee and my ankle :wink:

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Since this thread started, I've been paying close attention to my foot-dead pedal relationship while I drive.

Depending on how my *right* foot (specifically the heel) is placed on the accelerator, it affects my perception of the dead pedal's height and angle for my left foot.

My left foot naturally moves around a lot, and is sometimes on the dead pedal, sometimes leaning up against the dead pedal, and sometimes on the floor next to the dead pedal.

I like having all the extra space. Even if I had three left feet, they'd all fit. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I too noticed that the dead pedal was closer than I would like when driving the manual transmission cars. Didn't notice on the automatic as I put my foot between the brake pedal and the dead pedal. I peeled the carpet back and noticed there is some foam padding and a plastic block where the dead pedal is. If I were to buy myself one with a stick I'd likely remove that stuff and spray adhesive the carpet right to the unibody. That'd gain you a half an inch on the left side and over an inch on the right side of the dead pedal. It wouldn't be flat anymore but you'd have more room.

Tony

·
Registered
451 Posts
I'll have to explore that option when I take delivery of mine. Obviously the clutch pedal takes up the room your left leg would normally occupy which forces you to rest your foot on the wheel arch (which we seem to be calling the "dead pedal").

I too noticed that the dead pedal was closer than I would like when driving the manual transmission cars. Didn't notice on the automatic as I put my foot between the brake pedal and the dead pedal. I peeled the carpet back and noticed there is some foam padding and a plastic block where the dead pedal is. If I were to buy myself one with a stick I'd likely remove that stuff and spray adhesive the carpet right to the unibody. That'd gain you a half an inch on the left side and over an inch on the right side of the dead pedal. It wouldn't be flat anymore but you'd have more room.

Tony

21 - 26 of 26 Posts