Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a universal lighter assembly and it's too big for my 2017 smart fortwo. I went to the dealership last week. Computers were down and they didn't know if they could order it or not. Today I called and waited on hold 30 minutes. Finally hung up and someone called back to tell me, "they no longer make that part." HOW can they no longer make a part for a 2017 vehicle?!?! I need my GPS. How can I get a replacement lighter assembly? I don't need the burny part just the charging part. Or the whole assembly is okay. Is there a part number or something that I can order from somewhere? Or am I forced to go to a pick n pull auto place / salvage yard when my car isn't even 3 years old yet?

·
Super Moderator
29,144 Posts
That one should work also. If all else fails. it should be pretty simple to wire in a generic 12v outlet. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
If using as a 'lighter for cigarettes' socket make sure you use heavier cable (2.5mm) and a heavy fuse 20A as it draws around 15A. Most modern 12V sockets only have a 10A fuse and light wiring for light loads, charging phones, I-pads etc. not suitable as a cigarette lighter.

You can get an aftermarket one easily and cheaply on Ebay for around $10, and you just drill a hole in the plastic to fit it in... Here is an example....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts