Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Beck Arnley available on Amazon. So is oil I've heard...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Saw the listing on Amazon. Even has the seal ring. Just out of stock until . . . don't know when. Also found some great pricing on eBay. Until you see the $25.00 just to ship. Sorry, don't think so. I bought the car to save money not spend it. :D

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Saw the listing on Amazon. Even has the seal ring. Just out of stock until . . . don't know when. Also found some great pricing on eBay. Until you see the $25.00 just to ship. Sorry, don't think so. I bought the car to save money not spend it. :D
Been looking on that eBay page... can't seem to find the listing for the seal around the oil filter cap.
Huh?!?!?!

It sure looked like it was in stock on Amazon when I checked yesterday before I posted!!!!

Sorry if it wasn't the case. (Ah, I see now that I'm on a computer it shows "Temporarily out of stock." (In whatever color that is. I am slightly red green color blind!)

I saw the Wix part number on O'Reilly's. Then when searching it up there was one site that cross referenced it with a lot of other filters for Renault, etc.....

Here:

https://partinfo.org/wix-filters-wl7506/

Again, my apologies!!!

BTW- Most of these canister filters do come with the gasket(s) for the oil filter area, not always the drain plug, but as far as I have experienced everything you need for the area around the filter: (reference my family's W123, W126, W204, *S212, E90: N54, wife's ex/traded N52, and '12 Prius v...) I * the S212 because I can only find an OE filter for that application.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, I have a 2016 453 with turbo. I have never liked synthetic oil. Only ran it one time and dumped it. I full time rv and tow with a Freightliner Century 120 (semi) and it has only had dino oil in it. 780k miles and going strong. Lots of time we are out in the bonnies and no Mercedes dealers around. We mostly use Kiwkcars and such.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
This site seems to have the OE filter for a good price:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/ts-filter-insert/2001800009/

Free shipping on orders $49 and over.

Thank you for sharing your experience with Dino oil. A lot of synthetics use group 3 base stock, which is technically highly refined Dino oil. I think my only concern would be how long the oil change intervals have become. If changed more frequently, I wouldn't be surprised if they work just fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow, dino oil with a turbo! Seems like playing Russian Roulette with 5 cartridges in a 6 shoot revolver. Can you say turbo bearings.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Wow, dino oil with a turbo! Seems like playing Russian Roulette with 5 cartridges in a 6 shoot revolver. Can you say turbo bearings.
I agree with you! I've been around and owned cars long enough to have seen and used all the various iterations of oil formulations for more than 50 years. In the early stages of synthetic oils I had issues with seal leakage in 3 different cars. I stopped using synthetics until their formulation was improved and I had a car with seals more compatible with synthetic oils. Turbo life expectancy has dramatically improved over the years, in part due to better design and materials but also, I suspect, due to use of synthetic oils. In my older cars I still don't use synthetics but do change oil more frequently.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My local shop only sells synth oil for new vehicles. And I'll go with the guy who is always in the oil. My first attempt in synth was so bad I kept away from it. Leaks appeared all over the place. Found out later it was from a cast iron lump engine. The machining back then was just not the same as the aluminum type engines. As well as lubrication demands that old oil just cannot sustain.
I also restore turn of the century fans. They used rendered animal fat as a lubricant back then for the brass. Just can't get that any longer, but there is a synth oil that has the same properties and lasts longer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This site seems to have the OE filter for a good price:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/ts-filter-insert/2001800009/

Free shipping on orders $49 and over.

Thank you for sharing your experience with Dino oil. A lot of synthetics use group 3 base stock, which is technically highly refined Dino oil. I think my only concern would be how long the oil change intervals have become. If changed more frequently, I wouldn't be surprised if they work just fine.

OK, thanks. Good link.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
OK, thanks. Good link.

I was trying to figure out whether it would be cheaper to buy through West Covina on eBay or through ECS, known to the BMW crowd, if one were to buy 4, but the "buy it now" kind of scared me as I might be committed to buying a filter for a car I don't even have...

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Went to surf around the ECS site. I saw their BBB link and clicked it. Read some bad comments/reviews. Please verify if the filter will be available as projected....

·
Registered
27 Posts
LiquiMoly German Oils, Why Not?

I am using SAE 5W-40 LiquiMoly for my First SMART engine oil Change... I bought a 2010 Smart for two, used with 24,000 miles on it...
LOVE that Bumble Bee color...

I also bought Redline MT-90 for the tranny/rear end change... Not needed yet but will use that fine product soon.

I have been into Harleys for several years using Redline products and Recently changed a while back to use 10W60 LiquiMoly in my TC engine... Still use Redline MTL in primary and Shockproof Heavy in my Baker DD7 speed tranny in my 09 King...

***Guess the point is with such good results in my air cooled motor, I have done several Blackstone Test Reports on the 10W60 LiquiMoly in hot weather over several Test miles...

The reports show Very Little engine wear and surprising me with Extending Mileage too... Going 8,000 miles with some room for More from Blackstone testing...
I do change early at 6,000 on that bike tho...

***SO, I decided to use it in my New old Smart Car motor.

Buying a 5 ltr jug of 5W40 LiquiMoly for about 40$ with Amazon Prime/free shipping....

Check out LiquiMoly... Where can you get a Fully Synthetic oil for less, and German product to boot... About 8$ a ltr when buying it in the 5 ltr jug?

Hope the above is OK to post as I am New here with my used 2010 SMART that I really LOVE, almost as much as my Harley...

More about the oil and testing IF You Ask... SMILE

signed....BUBBIE

YES....... THIS should have been Posted in/under the 451 as my 2010 is a 451? but the oil question was in the 453 section.... SO Much to Learn here...

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I am using SAE 5W-40 LiquiMoly for my First SMART engine oil Change... I bought a 2010 Smart for two, used with 24,000 miles on it...
LOVE that Bumble Bee color...

I also bought Redline MT-90 for the tranny/rear end change... Not needed yet but will use that fine product soon.

I have been into Harleys for several years using Redline products and Recently changed a while back to use 10W60 LiquiMoly in my TC engine... Still use Redline MTL in primary and Shockproof Heavy in my Baker DD7 speed tranny in my 09 King...

***Guess the point is with such good results in my air cooled motor, I have done several Blackstone Test Reports on the 10W60 LiquiMoly in hot weather over several Test miles...

The reports show Very Little engine wear and surprising me with Extending Mileage too... Going 8,000 miles with some room for More from Blackstone testing...
I do change early at 6,000 on that bike tho...

***SO, I decided to use it in my New old Smart Car motor.

Buying a 5 ltr jug of 5W40 LiquiMoly for about 40$ with Amazon Prime/free shipping....

Check out LiquiMoly... Where can you get a Fully Synthetic oil for less, and German product to boot... About 8$ a ltr when buying it in the 5 ltr jug?

Hope the above is OK to post as I am New here with my used 2010 SMART that I really LOVE, almost as much as my Harley...

More about the oil and testing IF You Ask... SMILE

signed....BUBBIE
Welcome!

Because I wanted to welcome you, I'm not going to comment on the oil you are using. (Resisting the urge to pull up the bevo site!!!)

BTW- I do believe you have a 451, but maybe you meant to post in the 453 section?

Anyways, hope you are enjoying your smart new ride!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have used a lot of different oils in my 451, all meeting MB 229.5.
My favorite was Pennzoil 0W-40 Euro, which ran great, very smooth, with good mileage.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-Platinum-Euro-SAE-0W-40-Full-Motor-Oil-1-qt/44981494

I found Mobil 1 to be mediocre at best.

Second favorite was Castrol Edge, 0W-40, with half a quart of Edge 0W-30 added in Winter...

Pennzoil also makes a 5W-40, you can find this under the names Quaker State Euro, or Shell Helix also..

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
First oil change. 6500 miles. 4.3 quarts Valvoline full synthetic Synpower 5W30. Changed filter insert and reset wrenches on dash to 10K. Easy peasy.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Dredging up this subject. I am doing my first oil change on my new to me 453. I am going with Amsoil 5w-40 euro oil that is a mb 229.5 spec. I am curious to know what potential damage I could do to the emissions equipment using this vs a mb 229.51 rated oil. I suspect none, and I am following the posters that have recommended going against what is listed in the manual. A little higher SAPS level is what we are talking here, but we also want to consider the stronger additive package in the 229.5 oil. The low SAPS oil puts a little concern in me

My 451 ran well with the same oil ( I know they have completely different motors!)

61 - 80 of 104 Posts