Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have replaced all bulbs to LEDs inside and out. Success with all after a couple of different bulb tries, BUT I am experiencing an intermittent hyperflash. Really dont understand why. Tail, brake and DRLs are stock LEDs. I dont want to install resistors, they are dangerous. Is there a flasher relay I could change?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Snark is correct. The standard circuit is designed to flash at the slower rate when there is enough current draw. Incandescent bulbs draw a lot more current than LEDs. Without load resistors to draw more current, the circuit thinks the bulbs are blown and goes into hyper flash as an alert the a bulb is burned out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How bout something like this? Where would it go? How many prongs? Just a thought.

XtremeAmazing 5 Pin EP27 FL27 Electronic Flasher Relay for Car Vehicle LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs Hyper Blink Flash Fix

1. XtremeAmazing 5 Pin EP27 FL27 Electronic Flasher Relay for Car Vehicle LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs Hyper Blink Flash Fix

·
Registered
699 Posts
Are you asking me? If yes, no, I don’t think resistors are bad or dangerous, but if not correctly sized, they will get crazy hot. (I’m an EE )

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you buy the ones designed for this purpose they have large heat sinks and are required to be mounted to metal not plastic. I have not had any issues with these. But, as mentioned they do get hot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not dangerous necessarily. They melt plastic. Turn signal area really doesn't have anything else to mount it to but plastic. Once melted never the same, ask the wicked witch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts