Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can someone tell me how to release and remove the center latch cover on my 2016 453 Prime.
I've tried many times and can't get to come off. Is there a clip that has to be released or what?
Trying to get the lower outer cover so I can install a rear view camera.
Any help would be greatly appreciated..... :(?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Mine is kind of loose, and pops off if you squeeze in on it a bit. I think it's just a Meijer of disengaging a couple of tans on it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kind of late to this thread, but I just went through this exercise... So,
Here are couple things I learned:
  • Reason to remove this lock cover is because you have to remove this lock cover and pull back the latch handle cover on the right to reveal the last screw underneath to remove outside gate panel. I need to take it off so I can install a backup camera above the license plate.
  • To remove the lock cover, you should use something flat and sturdy to push inward (short side of the lock cover toward the center direction), just push a little and don't push too hard or you will break the plastic tab that hold the lock cover in place.
  • Wiggle and pull the lock cover toward the back (kind of a rolling down action)
  • It helps to do this in a warmer temperature (plastic is less brittle in warmer temperature and less likely to break)
  • The lock cover part number is 4537401500, a $25 (plus shipping) fix if any mistake is made...
Just my $0.02 worth of comments and hope they may help other 453 owners who are new to this DIY thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts