Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've got a brand new 453 Prime model. I was parking today and noticed that while reversing and breaking, the car would rumble and make a sound that does not sound normal at all! I've read in other forums (one for Honda civics) that the rumbling occurs because of bad engine mounts. Has anyone experienced this yet?

A few things to note:
I SADLY got into a little fender bender less than a month after purchase (OMFG :crying:) but that affected only my front tires and passenger side mirror so I wouldn't think this would have anything to do with it. It's been a few weeks since I got it fixed and up until today, the car has been fine.

Since I bought it new, I do have a warranty with Mercedes but I don't know if my accident nulls my warranty (this is my first car so I don't know the rules!). If say there is a bad engine mount, I am thinking about the next steps to either take it to Mercedes or whoever to get this part fixed... :/

If anyone has any thoughts or experience, please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Thought I should add, if you have a motor mount issue you will feel additional and excessive vibration in the cabin. The more engine revving, the more vibration you feel as the rpms ramp up. And also idling at a standstill will also cause irregular vibration.

Check your wheel well splash guards to make sure they are tightly secured and not loose. If they are they may be coming into contact with your tires while in motion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mister Smart!

I just moved the car (better parking spot LOL) but went to check what you mentioned. I don't believe the splash guards are loose but there was no rumbling this time! Very weird but what you described felt like what was happening the first time.

I've sent an email to the dealership already just to set up an appt so we'll see from now and then if the vibration and rumblings are more apparent.

I'll check again later tonight or tomorrow when I take the car out again.

Thanks much!
~C

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I believe your "rumbling" was most likely just your ESP system going through it's occasional calibrations immediately after startup. Does it happen more often after the car is cold and parked for a while?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rumbling happened AFTER driving about 4.5 miles. So got gas, drove home, then attempted to park which is when the rumbling happened. The car was parked the entire day I was at work outside and it's like 60 something degrees over here so not "cold"........

This has happened once, today only.. so we'll see how the rest of the week goes.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The rumbling happened AFTER driving about 4.5 miles. So got gas, drove home, then attempted to park which is when the rumbling happened. The car was parked the entire day I was at work outside and it's like 60 something degrees over here so not "cold"........

This has happened once, today only.. so we'll see how the rest of the week goes.
Yeah, don't worry about it much while it's gone because if it's something worthy of stressing over then it will return.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts