Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I couldn’t find the answer anywhere, I dug in today & figured out the 453 Seat Recline mod. (Disclaimer: the mod is only for reclining in the passenger seat while parked. Do NOT travel with seat reclined as it can impeded bolster airbag deployment & possibly allow occupant to be put outside of Tridion Safety Cell)

First, unhook the lashing straps that hold the seat back carpet. They are hooked under the seat bottom. Fold seat flat forward. Peel up seat back to reveal more upholstery hooks. Unhook as much as needed to reveal to round “hinges” the seat back rotates on. On the rear side of the seat bottom half, you will see a thick tab on both the left & right hinges. Using a hacksaw or rotary tool, cut off the tabs. After these are off, you will see the smaller tabs that are part of the seat back half. Again, cut those tabs & now your seat will full recline & lock in any position. Reattach upholstery hooks to original places. I found it best to hook the lashing straps with the seat upright so that you can guess if you’re going to the correct bar. It’s the one just forward of the crossmember with the wires going across it. The seat belt hook on the headrest will rub the side panel. I found it better to slide the seat forward, recline, the slide the seat back. I thought about cutting the hook but it didn’t seem like that was necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since I couldn’t find the answer anywhere, I dug in today & figured out the 453 Seat Recline mod. (Disclaimer: the mod is only for reclining in the passenger seat while parked. Do NOT travel with seat reclined as it can impeded bolster airbag deployment & possibly allow occupant to be put outside of Tridion Safety Cell)

First, unhook the lashing straps that hold the seat back carpet. They are hooked under the seat bottom. Fold seat flat forward. Peel up seat back to reveal more upholstery hooks. Unhook as much as needed to reveal to round “hinges” the seat back rotates on. On the rear side of the seat bottom half, you will see a thick tab on both the left & right hinges. Using a hacksaw or rotary tool, cut off the tabs. After these are off, you will see the smaller tabs that are part of the seat back half. Again, cut those tabs & now your seat will full recline & lock in any position. Reattach upholstery hooks to original places. I found it best to hook the lashing straps with the seat upright so that you can guess if you’re going to the correct bar. It’s the one just forward of the crossmember with the wires going across it. The seat belt hook on the headrest will rub the side panel. I found it better to slide the seat forward, recline, the slide the seat back. I thought about cutting the hook but it didn’t seem like that was necessary.
I'm trying to do this, but I am not following the directions well. My problem is, the picture links are broken, at least for me. Could you maybe repost them? Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts