Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone checked under the oil filler cap on their 453 smart (UK/European fortwo prime premium, 999cc/71hp model)?? I took the cap off recently, and was surprised (shocked!!) at the substantial amount of emulsified oil (that's the creamy white gunk that's associated with water in oil) that had accumulated in the oil filler neck. The oil on the dipstick is fine and there's no coolant loss or any other signs of head gasket issues, and I'm putting this down to short journeys over the winter months with moisture/condensation collecting on the cooler area around the oil filler neck, although it's not that cold in UK (rarely below 0DegC), and as a "city" car designed primarily for short city commutes then would have assumed that the crankcase ventilation system would have been designed to efficiently remove any accumulated moisture??

Everything around oil filler neck has now been cleaned out (should have taken a few photos, but didn't!!), and will check again after a few decent long motorway journeys to see if problem is still present, but curious to know if there's a potential problem here, or if this a "feature" of the 3-cylinder 999cc smart and if anyone else has experienced same/similar issues??

·
Registered
237 Posts
Has anyone checked under the oil filler cap on their 453 smart (UK/European fortwo prime premium, 999cc/71hp model)?? I took the cap off recently, and was surprised (shocked!!) at the substantial amount of emulsified oil (that's the creamy white gunk that's associated with water in oil) that had accumulated in the oil filler neck. The oil on the dipstick is fine and there's no coolant loss or any other signs of head gasket issues, and I'm putting this down to short journeys over the winter months with moisture/condensation collecting on the cooler area around the oil filler neck, although it's not that cold in UK (rarely below 0DegC), and as a "city" car designed primarily for short city commutes then would have assumed that the crankcase ventilation system would have been designed to efficiently remove any accumulated moisture??

Everything around oil filler neck has now been cleaned out (should have taken a few photos, but didn't!!), and will check again after a few decent long motorway journeys to see if problem is still present, but curious to know if there's a potential problem here, or if this a "feature" of the 3-cylinder 999cc smart and if anyone else has experienced same/similar issues??

Hello. I read this post and then checked the inside of my 453 oil filler cap, but no white/emulsified oil is present.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
In the U.S. we don’t get the 1 liter engine. None u dear oil cap on my .9L Passion when I change oil. Have seen something similar in years past on some models of cars I’ve owned. Was never an issue over tens of thousands of miles. Never very thick when seen. If it was present, would just clean the cap during oil change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts