Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the useless sunglasses pocket over the passenger, and replace it with a standard pulldown handle + clothing hook. I've seen these in either a lower spec NA 453 or a euro spec 453.

Or if someone here is interested in a trade send me a PM.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I get more use out of mine as a storage cubby than I ever would as a passenger grab handle.

Why would a passenger need to grab a roof handle, anyway?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
If you happen to have a VIN of one that has the handle of interest, I should be able to pull a part number/part numbers, otherwise I'd have to research on how to find a VIN with said handle as well....

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
A 453 810 00 54 "Grab handle"

There is also some kind of "cover molding" in the area: A 453 815 01 00, although I'm not sure where that goes. Sounds like you might need it...

(Grumble grumble, forgot I could remove VIN restriction by clicking the model...)

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
The part numbers for other countries have been there. They may be slowly removing non-US parts. Before I could see the non-US floor mats, but they were gone last time I checked.... There's a legal reason, unintended acceleration comes to mind, to remove those, but mirror caps? I'm afraid I do not believe they exist. I will check and send you a message with what I find. Right now I should get my son ready for school...

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
No problem!!!!

Sorry if I looked at your location. We will be visiting your beautiful city this April I believe. My uncle and his family live there and we will get to stay with them. It's been a long time since I've been there and am excited to be going with my wife and son! (I haven't been there since quite some time before I was even married...) Maybe I'll get the chance to see your mod when I get there!

I hope you don't have trouble finding the part. smartonlineparts was great when I purchased stuff for my smart a few years ago. Now it seems their online catalog is down, but maybe they can sell to you directly somehow. Great prices on almost everything I've gotten for the smart....

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Not sure if this was covered previously in the thread, but what was the price (part + shipping) for the grab handle, and how much time elapsed from order to delivery? Looking forward to seeing a finished pic and hearing about the installation.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
12 days to Vancouver from Germany, approx $46 CDN including tax.

Hold off on ordering! After removing the sunglasses pocket part, I've noticed that they have different sized plug ends. The grab handle requires a larger opening then is provided with the sunglasses part. I'm not sure I want to use my nibbler tool to cut away some sheet metal, this might be a no go. I'll be messing around with it more after work.

Why can't these things ever be easy!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is what it looks like behind the Sunglasses holder.

Here is the Sunglasses holder side by side with the Grab Handle, you can see the grab handle has a much bigger piece that needs to get inserted into the holes.

I'm guessing the grab handle has larger attachment pieces due to the fact that it needs to support a bit of weight when people are using it. I'm not comfortable cutting away sheet metal in that area. So I guess this is a fail.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The other part is a blank, which you would install if you had neither the grab handle or the sunglasses pocket.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts