Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
The other part is a blank, which you would install if you had neither the grab handle or the sunglasses pocket.

Well. My apologies for failing to help.

I do not have access to the EPC currently, but when I searched the part number of the handle these last couple of days, I found that EU site with pictures. If you look carefully at the picture there is no indication that the size of the attachment is different between the two. The "clips" look the same size.

I hope there is a different way to attach than to have to cut the metal...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I would be very surprised if the holes were two different sizes. More likely just that the inserts are different to accommodate the different functions of the accessories.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Here is what it looks like behind the Sunglasses holder.

Here is the Sunglasses holder side by side with the Grab Handle, you can see the grab handle has a much bigger piece that needs to get inserted into the holes.

I'm guessing the grab handle has larger attachment pieces due to the fact that it needs to support a bit of weight when people are using it. I'm not comfortable cutting away sheet metal in that area. So I guess this is a fail.

I keep looking at these pictures, because that's all I have to go on.

The expanding "clip" portion, for lack of a better term, looks a little closer to the base on the grab handle. (I once went to see a W126 on sale and while the owner had a rear view mirror in hand, someone misinformed him that it could not be attached/something was missing. I took a peek and just pushed it into place.). If you feel the edge of the headliner is there metal right behind it? What happens if you attempt to just gently push it in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The openings are not big enough for the "grab handle" male ends to fit. The European cars must have a larger opening for the grab handles.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I sent my dad to get me a simple clamp at the dealer, and they called me and it seemed a waste of time for my W201 alternator replacement saga, so I decided to man up and pay $75 to Mercedes. Got the part numbers pretty quick, except I used my VIN...

So I am digging in EPC. 4 different headliners!

453 690 00 00
453 690 01 00
453 690 04 00
453 690 05 00

Haven't figured out which one is the proper one though...

Sorry I didn't catch this!!!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
A little help is needed. Seems I can weed some out if I know glass or solid roof, and whether one has pelvic/thorax airbag....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
As stated by Matt 453, when you remove the glass case and the inserts you find the square holes are smaller than what is needed for the handle. Looks like Daimler actually stamped two different size holes in the metal piece depending on which market the car was being built for. A bit strange to me. If there aren't any inserts for the handle, just the larger square holes in the metal, it looks like you could enlarge the height of the holes by cutting a bit out of the bottom. Hole width seems fine. I had a firm in the U.K. do a search and they said there wasn't anything else that went into the hole, just the handle. Not certain that is correct.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
In EPC there were very few SA codes for the handle. This is why I didn't worry/think there might be an issue.

When this issue was noted, and I renewed my subscription, I had to dig some, a lot longer than finding myself some clamp and grommet, to find that there are at least, from what I can see at least, different headliners. On the picture of the headliner there are two small holes where these items are to be inserted. There is no mention on the size, but there are SA codes as I mentioned, for example whether solid or glass roof, or whether there is some sort of side airbag....

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Would have loved a grab handle on the passenger side for comfort alone. When I'm a passenger in any vehicle with one, I often use it just to give my arm a new resting position

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The base of the handle actually lines up perfectly with the impression left from the case. Only need to determine mounting.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
The base of the handle actually lines up perfectly with the impression left from the case. Only need to determine mounting.
Did you try just pushing it in?

For example, the little "tongue" piece against the strip of metal towards the center of the holes in the picture. Looks like the latching point is further towards the base of the "insert". That is why I asked if there was not metal just behind the headliner cloth...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Did you try just pushing it in?

For example, the little "tongue" piece against the strip of metal towards the center of the holes in the picture. Looks like the latching point is further towards the base of the "insert". That is why I asked if there was not metal just behind the headliner cloth...
The hole is simply too small to be able to push in the part of the handle that seats in the hole.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
The hole in the picture does look too small, but what about above that? If you line up the center with the top bar of the hole, and possibly enlarge just the hole in the fabric?

I'm afraid the explanation was pretty poor!

So if you insert just the bottom part into the small hole, the little "tongue" in the center lines up with the top metal of the hole, and the other latch goes above on the other side, is there nothing there to latch to?

Does that make some sense? I'm not asking to fit a rock in a hole the size of a pebble, I understand and can see, but just the bottom into the hole.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts