Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Rather than enlarge/Dremel the holes, at great risk, can the plastic tabs on the grab handles be shaved to match the existing hole dimensions? The amount of shaving looks to be inconsequential, and they are probably overbuilt anyway.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Rather than enlarge/Dremel the holes, at great risk, can the plastic tabs on the grab handles be shaved to match the existing hole dimensions? The amount of shaving looks to be inconsequential, and they are probably overbuilt anyway.
I'm not sure how as the latch points are also farther out.... I have no idea how I can sort out the different headliners as of yet.

BTW-. The site link I listed seems like an EPC of country .ua, whatever that may be. The pic, in particular the one of the headliner area, is exactly the same as the one here....

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
So SA Code I18 is the code for the grab handle on the passenger side.

But none of the headliners note anything with regards to this code, either -I18, which would mean part number does not apply to those vehicles with a grab handle, nor +I18, part number applies to those vehicles with a grab handle. I tried to look at other SA codes to see a pattern on which may have a grab handle or not, but do not see any that is relevant to the issue at hand, both on the EU site and the US EPC. 494 is for USA, 460 is for Canada, by the way. so -460 means not for Canada, -494 means not for USA, but the same part numbers are listed twice, and the next listing does not list this restriction, particularly dependent on the build date time frame:

To build date 23/11/2015 453 690 04 00 notes -464-490
The next line reads From 23/11/2015 453 690 04 00 and absolutely nothing regarding 464 or 490....

My conclusion is that they are the same headliner in either case. One would need to enlarge the hole to the necessary size to fit the grab handle as necessary...

YMMV, and please do not hold me responsible. I'm just trying to help!

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Google Chrome handles translation of the EU site quite well, and I was able to see it in English! Right click and select Translate...
In the middle of the night I remembered the picture of the holes in this thread and it seems there isn't enough space towards the top to enlarge the metal hole?

Anyways, when I think of something else that will help I'll be back. If anyone finds a VIN of a vehicle with this grab handle it will be easy to get the correct headliner part number though. I'm not familiar enough with 453s to determine this without going VIN by VIN and checking EPC...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
There was no issue with the headliner whatsoever. The issue is the sheet metal of the trideon cell. The opening is not large enough to accept the grab handle connectors.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
There was no issue with the headliner whatsoever. The issue is the sheet metal of the trideon cell. The opening is not large enough to accept the grab handle connectors.
We have a slight terminology issue. I thought "headliner" meant the piece of metal.....

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
So I went to check the roof and shell parts. No indication of any difference with regards to I18, at least as far as I can tell on the solid roof. Still not sure I incorrectly chose "headliner" as the metal part though....

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Here's a very similar pic to the one on EPC, but headliner has even more part numbers!!!!

http://merc.com.ua/mercedes-benz/cat/originalniy-katalog/aaa1b12b4da2b4af5bce757a84b9ce54

Add 453 690 07 00 to the list I've provided from the US EPC...

A headliner is the interior decorative cabin lining visible above your head, and made of (or resembling) fabric.

The picture Iinked is exactly the same as the one on the US EPC. There is a user agreement not to share the information, so I'm glad I found that public site. While I was born here in the US, my English is not poor, and I realize that headliner usually refers to the fabric portion on the roof, the picture seems to represent more of what's underneath, or in this case above, the fabric.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Correct, not enough metal to enlarge hole at top but plenty to enlarge at bottom and that will not cause a problem with the base of the handle covering the cutouts in the headliner. What I am still curious about is if there are inserts that snap into the holes before snapping in the handle as is true for the glass case.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Correct, not enough metal to enlarge hole at top but plenty to enlarge at bottom and that will not cause a problem with the base of the handle covering the cutouts in the headliner. What I still curious about is if there are inserts that snap into the holes before snapping in the handle. There are inserts for the glass case.

Absolutely nothing on EPC of the sort. Closest were those covers that I mentioned that Matt explained what they were. The picture I linked of the grab handle and other parts is also the same as that of the US EPC. You can see what I see in the picture, sans some extra info, i.e. SA codes, specific to North America I guess.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Okay, so I just compared the two sites. On the US site there is another part 80 which is the "Bracket Mirror" which is not on the EU site. It is right above the rear view mirror, but on the EU site it seems to be included with the mirror. Imagine that white rectangle moved off up and to the right, exposing the interior of the mirror mounting surface. Everything else is the same. Note that 120 and 140, the covers if the there were no grab handle on the right, and no storage case on the left, is the exact same. Is there a storage case on the driver side? Is that the glass case, or something different? Somewhat confused, as there is no indication of an option for the case on the passenger side....

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
U.S. spec cars have glasses holders on both sides - at least my Passion does. Never looked at other models.
So I took a Pure VIN to EPC, and it shows Quantity 002 of the "spectacle shelf". Correct, both sides are glass holders in US vehicles it seems. Now if we can find a VIN with the grab handle I can compare the part numbers for the headliner, roof, and shell.....

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I gave up trying to find a VIN from a foreign smart. Seems like the US is the only country that readily lists a VIN.

So I looked at the shell and roof parts. There may be more than one roof part, but I can only see one part number as of now. This part is just the roof portion and it may be somewhat reasonably priced. The shell has 3 part numbers, but I'm almost certain you will not be going that route, as it is basically the whole body of the car. It would be ultra impractical/costly...

Here's a picture of the shell:

????? ?????? ?? ???????? ????? ????? (453). ??????? ????????? ? Mercedes Benz Smart ForTwo (453). ???????????? ????????. EPC, Tecdoc | Merc.com.ua

Not 100% sure but looks like cutting into the metal might be the way to go...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today I replaced the passenger side sunglasses holders with grab handles. Both my wife and I own 453 smart cars so I ordered the handles from Germany using the links in the beginning of this thread. On the first car I chose to protect the surrounding headliner using painters tape and tried to using the Dremel tool with cutoff disc at a low speed to minimize the sparks. This didn't work out so well as even with the low amount of sparks it did manage to cause the headliner to smolder - easy to put out but I made adjustments for the second car. On the first one I removed all of the metal from the bottom of the existing hole. This was quick but it wasn't ideal as you can see in the first picture that the handle doesn't fully cover the hole in the headliner. It is minor and unnoticeable unless you are using the handle.

For the second car I took part of the metal from the top of the hole as well as the bottom. I also wrapped the hole with aluminum foil and packed the space behind the hole with aluminum foil as well. This allowed me to cut at high speed and not worry about the amount of sparks I was producing. The end result turned out well as the small gap between the handle and the headliner that was visible in the first one I did wasn't there in this one.

Once the hole was cut, installation of the handle is super simple. You just push it firmly into the hole so the tabs grab and then push in the rectangular plugs to keep it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Wow, great work! Thanks so much. I've been quite busy with other things and haven't gotten to mine yet and your experience sure will help.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts