Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Yes, I too own mutliple tire pressure guages . . .

It is estimated that the total number of TPMS systems currently found in the U.S. exceeds 100 million. Many of the original TPMS sensors are aging out as the batteries, intended to last up to 10 years, are dying. Those batteries are not replaceable.

While a tire dealer or installer can work on a car showing a sensor light their work cannot result in the vehicle displaying a new light without repair/replacement.

It behooves them to check and note any TPMS related lights BEFORE repair/replacement and document that the system conditions are the same as received when returning to the customer. For lack of that, THEY could be fined and possibly held liable in the event of an accident.

Odd that this regulation (mandate), in place since 2008, does not require the manufacturer (M-B smart 453) to have an inventory of replacement sensors available at a reasonable cost???

Deviating from smart for a moment, how many of you have sensors in your full sized spare - and if not, when did you last check the air pressure in that tire??? And for those with a doughnut, (speed limit around 50mph, distance of travel 50 - 70 miles) what's the tire pressure in that?

Proof that all the regulations in the world won't save us from ourselves, how many times have you seen two doughnut spares on a car speeding down the road at breakneck speed?

“The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions.” George Carlin (1937-2008)

How ironic - in 2008 George passes and we get TPMS?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have had three sets of tire rim packages on my 2014 451 smart.
The originals with original TPMS, a set purchased from another smart owner who said that he had the TPMS units installed in the tire set and that they worked fine on his car. that set also worked on my car with out any issue as when I put them on I let the air out of one and the light came on, I refilled it and reset light. Now a thrid set has been on my car with the smart car they came with original TPMS installed. I put them on my car and drove around for a day but ultimately removed them that TPMS set also worked without issue on my car. So I am not understanding this need to clear the old ones unless that is about holding the TPMS reset button on the 451's "Beware the dealer misdirection"

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
twcom, I think, and am glad, that you haven’t come across incompatible TPMS sensors. I read through relevant 453 instructions and it seems to note sensors should work, like you experienced.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts