Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a 453 bought - ordered as soon as I can. My bicycle rack is the trailer hitch type. Has anyone seen anything on hitches for the 453? I want to keep my present rack as it works so well on my 451. Thanks, Rich

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Ah another reason to stand in the 451 fold. Maybe later on. I remember when Max, my 08 cabrio, was but a spring chicken. No trailer hitches around. Then a small company out of Canada called Smart Universe offered a hitch for the 451. It was quite $$ in the day over $500.00. But, I knew if I couldn't get my bike to the trail I wouldn't buy the smart. Well worth the price for me. Of course if I could have waited a while Curt came up with one for less than 25% of what I paid. So sure something will pop up for the 453 as well.......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rich,

Like most have said, probably wont find one any time soon. I elected to go the route Daniel did. I fabbed up new crash bar mounts and used a section from my curt hitch on my old 451 to replace the stock components. Here's a pic of it so far. I have everything tack welded but I am waiting on a friend to come help out as he has the real welding skills lol. Only thing left to do is remove the crash bar from the stock mounts and position it on the new mounts. I thought about doing away with the crash bar all together because the hitch is far more robust than that flimsy piece of metal but, it has mounts that hang down and support the grey plastic section beneath the painted part of the bumper and keep it from flexing. Hopefully some of this makes sense lol. At least it does in my head.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rich,

Like most have said, probably wont find one any time soon. I elected to go the route Daniel did. I fabbed up new crash bar mounts and used a section from my curt hitch on my old 451 to replace the stock components. Here's a pic of it so far. I have everything tack welded but I am waiting on a friend to come help out as he has the real welding skills lol. Only thing left to do is remove the crash bar from the stock mounts and position it on the new mounts. I thought about doing away with the crash bar all together because the hitch is far more robust than that flimsy piece of metal but, it has mounts that hang down and support the grey plastic section beneath the painted part of the bumper and keep it from flexing. Hopefully some of this makes sense lol. At least it does in my head.
Very nice. Very, very nice!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you see a conceivable way to make one without bumper cover modification, or in such a way as to not be able to see it when no ball is installed?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't. I've spent quite a bit of time considering that possibility, finally just fabbed one up and am quite happy with it. The little 1 1/4" receiver is just not that aesthetically displeasing to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't. I've spent quite a bit of time considering that possibility, finally just fabbed one up and am quite happy with it. The little 1 1/4" receiver is just not that aesthetically displeasing to me.
I am going mock one up once I get an exhaust I like on, I think I'll put a 1 1/4 reciever just inside a cover, with an adjustable drop/lift arm for the hitch, that way everything can be hidden, and I have a wide range of functionality.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That will make your receiver quite close to the pavement. Still, please publish your work. You might find some good information in viewing the instructions for the German hitch (link to follow) Also, check out post # 71 in this thread: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/trailer-hitch-for-2016-453.118018/page-4

And here's the German site: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/trailer-hitch-for-2016-453.118018/page-4

And my modest contribution: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/trailer-hitch-for-2016-453.118018/page-5 Post # 90

i can tell you this: the 453 is vastly more capable in the towing department than my 451 was, but one could buy a manufactured hitch for the 451.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I appreciate the threads, I actually planned a top of crash bar mount (same as the link but flipped) soactually higher off the road, the issue us the heat shield sits there, but i see that this is less of an issue with sport cats and headers that angle the turbo in a little more. Who knows maybe mine will look quite like that in the end. I will also be running air at some point so ride height will be adjustable at whim.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts