Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our 451 has morphed quite nicely into a 453...

Wow!!

The more I see of these two cars, the more impressed I become. They are fantastic, down to the smallest detail.

Many kudos to the brilliant design team and ballsy Mercedes for creating such remarkably 'smart' cars.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
I like the white and silver combo. Now if they can keep the price under $20K, with the improvements, they really got something there.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I'm warming up to the new design. By the way the U-Tube Autogefuehl is hilarious when the CC is used.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm warming up to the new design. By the way the U-Tube Autogefuehl is hilarious when the CC is used.
Ok, Michael Gebhardt was using his second language and super amped up because of the World Cup win and the product debut -- so I'll cut him some slack. But I'm not a fan of this kind of preening, mindless hyperbole.

Styling speaks for itself really, and no amount of frantic enthusiasm can make it something it's not. The formal live debut was also full of this long, drawn-out self congratulation. Alright already, I get it has a smaller turning radius.

At one point he talks about the seats with integral headrests, saying they are "unique"... (altogether now.... really??) and then he proudly calls them "typical". He demonstrates that the interior is filled with ingenious details... pointing out that the back side of the vents carry the smart logo (unbelievably valuable) and by sliding out a plastic drawer by the console that looks like it could hold a box of toothpicks. He strokes the "muscles" on the front fender and the haunches. He gets up close to the grill emblem and practically cradles it in his hands, joyously waxing about how it's more three-dimensional. I get that the design is "smiley" and has "heart".... but yikes already. Most "Ihumpedyourhummer" videos were less auto-erotic.

I really don't get anything about the "loop" theme of the interior -- the shape of the radio pod doesn't seem congruous with the "loop" behind it (a rectangular radio screen sitting in a slightly radiused rectangular housing, held above a depression sunken into the dash for no purpose and itself with a semi-circular geometry... could we try any harder?) -- and no amount of breathless salesmanship makes the dash seem less Tonka, less "loopy." To me. I couldn't help but cringe when the interior was called "producty" and the fabric on the dash was described as "like a sneaker." Well then, take my money.

Actually, I'm warming up to the exterior, but the interior feels juvenile to me... somewhat Playschool... maybe a tad too producty. The new interior makes the old interior, even in red, look positively sober. I think the 453 interior I'm most drawn to is the fairly monochromatic version in the base model... and I'm not generally drawn to "base."

We'll see. In the meantime, Daimler might be wise to let the car speak for itself.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
Give the guy a break. He lived, ate, and drank that design for a couple of years probably taking up any time he had available for amorous adventures. I am glad that he loves the end product of his work and I think it is a very grown up interior with a futuristic appeal. With great materials I think the interior will be fantastic. I thought the 451 interior was the one that is somewhat juvenile looking. Don't get me wrong...I will be driving my City Flame for years and will love that interior as well but I think especially for young people that this new interior design will be a selling point.
The rounded (loopy) lines of the new interior remind me of the exterior lines of the original Miata and we know how well that has turned out.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Watch the amosd70 You Tube, it holds the answer to the temp gauge question.

About 7:16, lower right corner of speedo pod you will see a familiar idiot light - FAIL!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Or, as posted previously, the actual gauge in the instrument cluster:

We can only hope smart learned their lesson and this feature makes it onto North American cars. :)

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I like the exterior but does anyone see the tickle me Elmo face in the middle of the dash and he appears to be hurling an I-pod out of his mouth???

·
Registered
576 Posts
Finally had the chance to sit and watch both videos. It's nice to be able to see more about the cars. Interesting how they took elements from the original car and brought them into this design.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
As a 5 year owner, the only thing that ever annoyed me about smartie is the way the 451 looks while I am driving next to one. Hopefully, you understand. The front OEM wheels are hidden in the wheel wells and look like they are plowing the pavement (camber). My Lorinser Speedy wheels help that appearance, but now after 5 years, my back hurts with the low profile tires. That said, I notice the low profile tires again on the video.

Thanks for finding the video stevenvillatoro and sharing.

We own a terrific 2009 cabrio vehicle by the way (original owners). No problems mechanically whatsoever.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I like the white and silver combo. Now if they can keep the price under $20K, with the improvements, they really got something there.
A fully loaded 451 cabrio costs $22,790.00 before modding begins, LOL. But then, a basic pure is only $13,270.00. Such a wide span depending on configuration. I suspect the same will be true for the 453.

I like my sober 451 interior. Still waiting for the 453 interior to grow on me. Nothing yet.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
The narration is informative....:D

Like the external button on the glass hatch and the sturdy single lever to open the tailgate. :)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The automobile.com writeup said the white panels would be matte, which bugged me – but in this latest video, they look glossy.

The rear latch handle looks excellent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts