Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my 4th encounter with a 453 out in the wilderness. I almost believe I ran into Smart number 4. I scared the He'll out of the guy driving this one whence I hung out the window in a frantic hello!
20200303_164718_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
453s are pretty scarce around here but do have a neighbor about a half mile away that has a 2016 453 Prime. In 4 years of ownership have seen only a few on the road.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No kidding, I wish the market was better for the 453s here in the Midwest. I play Army in Cali and there are [email protected] a plenty and a few 451s. They are fun to cram into tight places though!

·
Registered
696 Posts
We have 5 451’s locally (2 of them ours) and just one 453 . I keep my eyes pealed , but haven’t seen one yet, even while driving in the city of Harrisburg PA, our closest city from the countryside.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
We have 5 451’s locally (2 of them ours) and just one 453 . I keep my eyes pealed , but haven’t seen one yet, even while driving in the city of Harrisburg PA, our closest city from the countryside.
We also had 5 451s in the immediate area with a couple others periodically seen. With fewer than 10,000 ICE versions of the 453 and far fewer 453 EVs they are pretty scarce.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Fairly often i'll see a 451 driving around. VERY rare occasion do i see another 453 in the wild, and when i do, it's usually a rolling billboard of sorts. I think i've only seen an un-wrapped 453 maybe once out in the wild, not counting the one other one i've seen at a local car show.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In the 2 years I've had the 453, I've only seen one other in the Phoenix area. Several on trips to LA and San Diego.

If I could tell, probably far fewer with the 5-speed.

S u b R o s a

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought. I was trying for the Cobra look. I think I paid 50 bucks for the Moon discs!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spent a weekend with some 2500gr sandpaper, Wizard's metal polish, and an huge helping of elbow grease! When I traded her in, they sold the car with the moondisc and the stock hubcaps in the back! The girl that bought Bridgette was ecstatic about a 5spd stick AND a turbo to boot!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I spent a weekend with some 2500gr sandpaper, Wizard's metal polish, and an huge helping of elbow grease! When I traded her in, they sold the car with the moondisc and the stock hubcaps in the back! The girl that bought Bridgette was ecstatic about a 5spd stick AND a turbo to boot!
Stick shift in a Smart really is the best thing ever. When I traded in my 09 Brabus Coupe for a (crap) 2013 Dodge Dart, I kept thinking that if they ever had a new model with a bit more oomf, I'd probably get another. Never did I expect 3-pedal driving to be there, too. Traded the Dart in on my now 2016 Prime.

P.S. it sounds amazing sans muffler. Haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where's the pix? I always wondered what a "Cherry Bomb" glaspack would sound like behind the 55cid turbo'd engine. (I live in the US, so that's what .9 liters in cubes are!)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Where's the pix? I always wondered what a "Cherry Bomb" glaspack would sound like behind the 55cid turbo'd engine. (I live in the US, so that's what .9 liters in cubes are!)
Not so much "glass pack" muffler (even though I know glass packs basically don't muffle anything)... Just had a shop cut the pipe leaking to the middle right before the bend, and welded on a short piece of pipe to get it down and to the bottom of the trim. I'll get pics and an idle/rev video later if you want, but here's a video I recorded (rather crappily) through the rear lift glass as I was driving.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's awesome! I can't wait for the real deal. Almost sounds like the Smart Diesel in a street bike.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That's awesome! I can't wait for the real deal. Almost sounds like the Smart Diesel in a street bike.
It's kinda hard to tell in the video, but you are pretty close. At times, I feel like it sounds like a diesel engine, and other times (at somewhat lower RPM's) I feel like it sounds like a spitfire aircraft engine.

A friend of mine kind if nailed it, too, saying sometimes it reminds him off the V1 Rocket from Battlefield 5.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Here's a pic of the rear. Can see the little piece of pipe sticking out. Also did a cold start and revved the engine a few times. Didn't want to go too crazy, since it's not the best thing to do when the engine is still cold.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts