Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a good quake. Heard it before we felt it. Everything shook and swayed. Won't miss these when we move to Montana.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watched the ceiling fan sway. We have a vaulted ceiling, 14' 6" at the peak. I could see it move about 3-4" back and forth. Don't like the feeling.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
...know the feeling well....more than I care to remember...
...back in '67 I run 6 flights of stairs to get to the street after a 6.2 quake hit my home town...there was a big cloud of dust that made it impossible to see your hand in front of your face.....the dust came from two collapsed buildings that were on each side of ours...

Jetfuel...like if it happened yesterday...

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
I hope everyone is OK out there!

At least with hurricanes you've got some advance notice. Earthquakes are scary boogers. If I ever get my butt relocated to the PNW, I may find out exactly how scary they are.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...know the feeling well....more than I care to remember...
...back in '67 I run 6 flights of stairs to get to the street after a 6.2 quake hit my home town...there was a big cloud of dust that made it impossible to see your hand in front of your face.....the dust came from two collapsed buildings that were on each side of ours...

Jetfuel...like if it happened yesterday...
6.2 is big and scary, Jet. For those who have never felt one, you can tell the epicenter proximity by how sharp the initial jolt is and how much rolling there is after. I heard it and the jolt was hard but extended, then there was rolling for about 30-45 seconds. The epicenter is about 50 miles from us, the distance attenuates the motion. The Northridge earthquake was 6.7 and I was about 80 miles from it. Lots of rolling and I remember waking up and saying "I hope it wasn't worse some where else." It was, we put on the news right away and watched it unfold. Scary stuff. Earthquakes close by are almost like an explosion, big bang and noise with no rolling. Deeper in the earth will be less sharp and more up and down movement. Tired of the earth moving.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Felt it strong for a LONG TIME here in Palm Springs. We were in the motorhome so the tires made it a bit bouncier but less violent. We seem to get one or two holders a year here. Meh.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I live in Oceanside & even felt it here!!!!!
I left Georgia to move back here, NOT that I missed the earthquakes BUT I missed the nice coastal weather!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts