Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i really want to shorten the shifter and replace with acustom cobb knob, im not affrais to cut things! As far as the reverse lock out i cld honestly care less. Lol however the is a very small cable to atatches to the lockout lever. Does anyone know the this lil cable does? Can it be eliminated? Problem orignally is i keep punchi g cups in the cupholder every time i shitft for 3rd, lame... and def lame my car shuts down at 100mph def in need of a good tune.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I assume you are talking about the 453 here as its the only manual boxes in the Smart range. There are two versions of the manual box, the 5 speed, pull shifter back to the reverse slot on the 1.0 engine (this is what I have), and likely you have the 0.9 turbo 5 speed engine with the pull up release collar just under the shifter knob (you call it the reverse lock) for allowing you to get into reverse slot. Both manual versions work using cables all the way from the shifter to the gearbox. The cable your talking about, allows reverse when the release collar is pulled up. You will still need to pull that cable to allow reverse to be engaged. Good luck figuring out a way. EASY SOLUTION...Instead of all that work trying to shorten the shifter, just use your rear cupholder behind the handbrake for holding a bottle of juice, instead of the two front ones next to the shifter, that's what i do to avoid hitting bottles or cups with the hand moving the shifter (y) (other option if you want a cupholder up front, fit an aftermarket cupholder away from the shifter, on the passenger side). Easy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, yes a 453, and sorry for all the typing errors, fat thumbs.. ne ways, thats a rediclous design, ima gm tech and never wld of thought that was the function of the lil cable. Do u suppose that disconnecting the cable and cinching it off so that the cable remains pulled wound pose other concerns. Like if the cable is pulled is there a sensor that reads such and possible limts or does not allow the car to build boost or ne thing like that? But i like my D cups!!!😂🤣

·
Registered
58 Posts
...Do you suppose that disconnecting the cable and cinching it off so that the cable remains pulled wound pose other concerns.
By removing the reverse lock, and if your doing 80 MPH on the freeway then you change gear and go into reverse gear by mistake, you will be hearing a bang and seeing bits of your gearbox flying everywhere :oops:o_O:giggle:

I would think you need to retain the reverse lock mechanism ;)

Just get your cupholder situation sorted out, A cup, D cup, any cup, and forget modifying the shifter LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts