Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read on another site that the fortwo has a 500 lb. weight limit. Is this true? I'm close to 200 lbs and my significant other won't say how much he weighs, but he is much bigger than I am. Will we be too big for this car? Yikes! I really want one!!!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
500 lbs is what it says on the car. However I've seen a couple of 220+ people cram into the car at the LA Auto Show.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Here's a photo of one of the stickers on the car. It does say, "518 pounds".

I'll guess that maybe the breaking system won't stop as quickly if one exceeds the weight limit. Also, when going uphill, the extra weight puts more load on the motor. So, a few pounds over may not matter too much, but a few hundred pounds over may matter quite a bit...

If I get a chance, I'll ask at the at the LA Auto Show.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This could actually end up being a deal breaker for me. :-( Between the two of us we'd be getting awfully close to that limit.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
A lot of the weight problem will be with the tires overheating!
The load limit on the front tires is 827 lbs, more on the back, so the total tire load rating is at least 3200 lbs (1400 lbs more than the car weight). I think the limitation is all in the suspension. If they set it up to handle much more weight, it would be a far stiffer ride than the typical driver would like to experience if they are of average weight.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I just got back from my second trip from the LA Auto Show...

The load limit for the Pure is 518 pounds, 235kg.

The load limit for the Passion is 507 pounds, 230kg.

The load limit for the Cabriolet is 463 pounds, 210kg.

My guess is, that as additional equipment is added, the weight of the equipment is factored in and the Load Limit for People & Cargo is reduced.

As far as overloading beyond the limit, the people in the Smart booth said that the extra weight exceeds the suspension system's design, puts extra stress on the tires, will reduce the MPG, and is NOT a good idea. After all, every car has a limit as to what it can carry.

Best Wishes,

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
52 Posts
Exactly - the problem with too much weight will be in the suspension. It won't accelerate as well, corner as well, nor stop as well above 500 lbs, and the suspension parts will wear out faster. The car weighs roughly 1600 lbs, so you're at 1/3 its mass when you have 500 lbs on board. For comparison purposes, a Chevy Impala weights approx 3,500 lbs. A similar passenger weight would be roughly 1,200 lbs. If you can imagine eight 150 lb people in a Chevy Impala, you can see that it would have quite an effect on the vehicle's handling and parts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Shanna - Guess we can ride together. I got shotgun!!! Oh... I guess on this car it's not necessary to call shotgun. lol

·
Super Moderator
29,358 Posts
Smart - built from small, slow prop planes!

Very close to a Cessna 150/152- max weight of 1670 lbs., useful load of 489 lbs. Don't think the smart will ever get off the ground, though. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
My Insight had a weight limit of 380 pounds. With full tank of gas I had no problem hauling my 200# self and a 225# friend and we each had two 16# bowling balls, plus shoes clothes, misc, probably had over 500# easy. The gas milage was not optimal for that trip, and my 0-60 might have been a bit off, but no problem with getting around or handling. The suggested weight limit is just for optimal accelleration and gas milage.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I posted something on one of the Mazda boards and learned that the weight limit on the Miata is even less - 340 lbs.! (I've since confrmed this on the door sticker.) We've never really noticed a problem with both of us in the car, even with a weekend's worth of luggage.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I posted something on one of the Mazda boards and learned that the weight limit on the Miata is even less - 340 lbs.! (I've since confrmed this on the door sticker.) We've never really noticed a problem with both of us in the car, even with a weekend's worth of luggage.
Sounds like it's a none issue for you. Glad you can stick with us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts