Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Smart car dealer wants to charge me $1600+ for a six-year/60K checkup, but I only have 37K miles on the car. Is there anything that I shouldn't need to get done to save money? I've gotten all annual work done before this.

Please help! :(

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm sorry but I don't have access to my manual right now, what are they planning on doing for the 6 year checkup?

Can you do any portion of it yourself

air filter
cabin filter
oil change, new oil filter
tire pressure
lube hinges
etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If that's the 60k maintenance, it includes the valve clearance inspection. Some will say it is not required at any mileage .....I would say to save it for the 60k service

The valve clearance inspection is labor intensive, especially if they need to actually address any of the valves

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
FYI: had my "60K/6y" done March 18 at 30,960 miles: $1,437.42!

But it included 4 new tires and new front brake pads.

As mentioned above we decided to NOT do the valves: they're more related to the number of hours the engine has run and don't "decay" with time. We changed wipers' blades, plugs, belts, oil, seals, brake and coolant fluids, anything that will age even if the car isn't driven.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
GEEZ!!! This is really inspiring to trade up to an Electric Drive...

Good thing I caught this. I've got the 6 year coming up, and I'm just going to hit 43K.

I'll ward off the evil Star Machine on this one, but it'll probably only be for another couple years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses, all! I can't put in a link to the owner's manual when doing a search online :(

I was given a sheet from the Mercedes technician a few months ago, and it only says: Major(inc. brake flush), combination filter, engine air filter, coolant check, spark plugs, brake drum adjust, valve clearance check, valve adjust, belts (with AC) and belts (without AC). I'm now pretty confused about what exactly is needed to be done.

I'm unable to do any maintenance myself (since I have no prior experience).

Since I've gotten info from two different sources, does anyone have any info about what exactly needs to be done that wears from age rather than mileage? Thanks again!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi, they are hitting you with the Valve Clearance Check, and it looks like there betting you'll need a Valve Adjust.
You only have 37k on your 6 year old car. I'm thinking you could put this off till you reach 60k on your car. That is the big one in your list.

And it looks like they want to replace your Spark Plugs to, I think that's a 40k thing. so you may want to go and let them do that.

It also looks like they want to replace your two belts, there's lots of information on that here, that is a hard call to make not knowing how they look. That's a chunk time too, your call.

The Brake Drum Adjust, not sure what that is.

Hope this helps, does your Dealer give you free fancy coffee, drink a lot of it, a lot, bring a thermos, take some home with you.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, all! I can't put in a link to the owner's manual when doing a search online :(

I was given a sheet from the Mercedes technician a few months ago, and it only says: Major(inc. brake flush), combination filter, engine air filter, coolant check, spark plugs, brake drum adjust, valve clearance check, valve adjust, belts (with AC) and belts (without AC). I'm now pretty confused about what exactly is needed to be done.

I'm unable to do any maintenance myself (since I have no prior experience).

Since I've gotten info from two different sources, does anyone have any info about what exactly needs to be done that wears from age rather than mileage? Thanks again!

They are hitting you for the whole ball of wax. With only 37K, I wouldn't let them touch the valves. You probably are due for a set of plugs, IF they haven't been changed yet(every 30K by the book). The drum brake adjust is a farce, the drums have self adjusters that work when you back up. That's a pure money maker for the dealership.

I do all my own service work, and tend to be pretty anal about my cars, but I can tell you this much: I will cross 156K today on my smart, and I've never done the valve check, never changed brake fluid, and I still have the original belts on the engine(although I do have new ones ordered). I know some folks will argue with me, but that's my experience. This has been the most trouble-free car I have ever owned. I've spent a whopping $80 on this car(not including routine maintenance) since I've owned it. I can't complain about that. :D

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
They are hitting you for the whole ball of wax. With only 37K, I wouldn't let them touch the valves. You probably are due for a set of plugs, IF they haven't been changed yet(every 30K by the book). The drum brake adjust is a farce, the drums have self adjusters that work when you back up. That's a pure money maker for the dealership.

I do all my own service work, and tend to be pretty anal about my cars, but I can tell you this much: I will cross 156K today on my smart, and I've never done the valve check, never changed brake fluid, and I still have the original belts on the engine(although I do have new ones ordered). I know some folks will argue with me, but that's my experience. This has been the most trouble-free car I have ever owned. I've spent a whopping $80 on this car(not including routine maintenance) since I've owned it. I can't complain about that. :D
Were you able to source the AC belt other than the dealer ???

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
I never had my valves adjusted, or brake fuild changed either. It is a good idea to change it. As it break down moisture does accumulate in the lines. I'm the second front pads too, and rotors. I really should change the belts too. They may look good, but over time, they will break down too. There nothing in maintance schedule, about adjusting the rear brakes. It just says look though the inspection hole, for wear. I would look, into changing the antifreeze, if I were you. Corrosion. Most folks ignore that. Antifreeze doesn't last forever.

You can buy, any basic, maintance part from any auto supply store, brake, belts, plugs, batteries, filters etc.

Look at the 30K, and 40K maintance, listed below.....

smart Maintenance Schedule. smart Owners

·
Super Moderator
1,251 Posts
Not changing your brake fluid in six or eight years is nothing to brag about. Brake fluid absorbs moisture. If you don't change it, you can expect the moisture to gravitate to and rust a major component like the ABS unit, the master cylinder, the booster, etc. If you are a DIY'er, it will cost you under ten bucks. It's one of those pay me now or pay me a lot more later kind of things. I assume the brake fluid is an every two year item like on other Mercedes, but since I don't own a Smart yet, I don't have the manual to read. As for the coolant, again with no manual to read, I don't know what is recommended. Mercedes did have it as a routine service every three years. Then in about 2003 they went with a chemical pack in the cooling system that allowed you to go 15 years or 150,000 miles between service. Using a proper coolant is also a wise move.

Len

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
We had the 60K done a year ago and it was right at $900 @ smart center Tulsa. That included them taking care of a couple minor non 60K service issues. $1600 seems high to me.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
That's where I bought mine.

You can also find them on ebay, but this guy is a little cheaper. He charges $10 shipping.

I just ordered them, so I haven't gotten them yet. I'll let you know how long it takes.
Belts arrived today. Not bad coming from the West coast...

Now I just have to find time to put them on...:laugh:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts