Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 smart car now has 59k miles on it, and will be due for maintenance soon. I've been calling mechanics around, asking for quotes for a basic 60k maintenance, as per factory specifications.

I've been getting quotes all over the place, ranging from $465 to $1000. The highest quotes are, surprisingly, not from the dealers. Can anybody explain what is up with that? What should I, reasonably, expect? Half a grand already strikes me a pretty darn steep.

One of the mechanics included an invoice, but I'm having trouble deciphering all that's on it.

More about my car:
I got it used at MB dealership last July. It had 55k miles on it. I don't drive it very much, as you can see, so, it's the first servicing I'm having done over it. I do not know who the previous owner was or how well he took care of the car.

I haven't had any issues with the car, except for a 'check engine' light that came up a few times in October, but that has gone on its own and has never come back, and the occasional 'check pressure' light that I get, which remains unexplained as tire pressure is ok. Car's been driving well.

I am in California, so the car doesn't see snow.

Thanks, folks.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
My '08 had the 60k service at the dealer in May. The cost was $381.28 . I had already done the oil and cabin filter change which would have increased the price a bit. And, my valve clearances were OK but if yours need work that would raise the cost considerably.
Not related to the 60k service, but done at the same time, were front brakes and rotors ($451.70), replacing a cracked engine mount ($147.50) and leaking differential seals ($402.80)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
My '08 had the 60k service at the dealer in May. The cost was $381.28 . I had already done the oil and cabin filter change which would have increased the price a bit. And, my valve clearances were OK but if yours need work that would raise the cost considerably.
Not related to the 60k service, but done at the same time, were front brakes and rotors ($451.70), replacing a cracked engine mount ($147.50) and leaking differential seals ($402.80)
Ouch!!! They saw you coming didn't they? $451 for a front brakes? It's like $100 in parts max(non-dealer pricing), and about 30 minutes to change them... Same with the diff seals, It's about $30 in parts and less than an hour to change them...

I realize not everybody has the ability or want to DIY car maintenance, but these prices are insane...:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts