Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SmartMadness replaced my Radiator FAN to the tune of $730 parts and labor. I sat in traffic the day I picked it up and my car's temperature light came on. I could hear no audible fan running.

So, with a new fan installed, what else could be the problem? I hope they will cover some if not all of the future labor involved in finding out why the car is overheating. My original request was to find out the source of the overheating problem, not simply to install a part. :(

--RCR

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
SmartMadness replaced my Radiator to the tune of $730 parts and labor.

My original request was to find out the source of the overheating problem, not simply to install a part. :(
Hmm, did they explain (and show) what was "wrong" with the old radiator - love it when we just throw new parts at a problem? :bangwall:

As overheating can be FATAL to a smart, have you shared your experience/concerns with Boris?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Bad Head gasket leaking combustion gases into the water jacket, causing a air bubble in the cylinder head... Try using the head bleeder to see if air has collected in the head... Leaking head gaskets are Not A New Problem with this cars engine..

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bad Head gasket leaking combustion gases into the water jacket, causing a air bubble in the cylinder head... Try using the head bleeder to see if air has collected in the head... Leaking head gaskets are Not A New Problem with this cars engine
Note: Old radiator should have been flow tested. That would have proven you did not need it replaced...!!! They were in the mood to make a fast Big buck off you, OR they are concomitant... It all adds up to Ripping You OFF
Brabus, I think you misread my post. My radiator fan has been replaced, not my radiator. :)

Thank you everyone for your insights. I return my car this Friday morning to SmartMadness. Speaking of which, can anyone drive me from SmartMadness back to Anaheim Friday morning? :laugh: There will be free Starbucks involved! :wink:

·
17,352 Posts
Ouch, sad Smart Madness couldn't fix the problem! However, thankfully SM isn't like your Mercedes dealer and they should work with you to correct it.

Take it back! :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
RCR, there is nothing wrong with Brabus007's understanding of your statement.

Quote:

"SmartMadness replaced my Radiator to the tune of $730 parts and labor. I sat in traffic the day I picked it up and my car's temperature light came on. I could hear no audible fan running."

You might want to add a fan after your radiator in your original statement.
Sounds like you might have more trouble shooting to go. The question is if the fan was really bad or not and if so what other item is at fault. Another contributor on here had a bad fan relay actually be the culprit. I believe that relay is on the Sam.
At least your temp light is working, which probably means you have no air in the engine head which is a good thing.
Sorry about your wallet. :D

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RCR, there is nothing wrong with Brabus007's understanding of your statement.

Quote:

"SmartMadness replaced my Radiator to the tune of $730 parts and labor. I sat in traffic the day I picked it up and my car's temperature light came on. I could hear no audible fan running."

You might want to add a fan after your radiator in your original statement.
Sounds like you might have more trouble shooting to go. The question is if the fan was really bad or not and if so what other item is at fault. Another contributor on here had a bad fan relay actually be the culprit. I believe that relay is on the Sam.
At least your temp light is working, which probably means you have no air in the engine head which is a good thing.
Sorry about your wallet. :D
My apologies, my fingers must have been moving faster than my brain.

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a week of testing and diagnosis by SmartMadness, they find that it is a bad SAM (OMG Why me!?) They are being very gracious and putting 712 dollars of credit toward the replacement of the SAM and a new- additional Key (since I only have one, it is cheaper to program an additional new key while they are in there working on it).

Sadly, my new total (on top of my previous $730) is $673.

The new fan is working, but the SAM was not telling the fan to turn on at all. :eek:

Son of a bit-ch this little car is expensive to repair! :crying:

(Also, side note: screw your profanity filter!)

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update, got my car back this last weekend and it's running great!

My total after a new fan, new SAM, new key, and labor was $1100 ish.

A high price to pay but worth it in the long run as we have a HOT summer coming our way.

I hope that da-mn little SAM never dies again!:laugh:

I now have TWO keys, as I was only given one key when I bought the car used. Since my SAM was being replaced it was cheaper to buy a new key and have it programmed while the SAM was being installed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts