Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why our ED is limited to 78MPH?
Because of its aerodynamics, battery limitation, motor limitation?
Just this morning, I needed it to go faster than 78MPH just to pass someone but I couldn't. I felt something got disabled going faster.:(

Also, I noticed than its speedometer is 5 or so miles fast. It says I'm going 40 but actually I'm going 35 or so. Can they adjust this to read the correct speed? Like always, thanks for your info/help in advance.:)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I've had mine going 80, but since my speedo is off 2mph that was actually 78 I guess.
You won't be able to over-ride the top speed limitations, it is based on a lot of things including battery temp/discharge and the power loss at 80+mpg.

Speedo error reading higher than actual speed seems to be pretty common, did you GPS yours to make sure it is that far off?

·
Super Moderator
28,460 Posts
If you follow the history of the smart ED, one of the big complaints about the Gen II car was lack of range. So, for the Gen III, smart compromised and cut back on the top speed a bit to add a bit more range. Of course, in an ICE smart you could have easily completed a pass at 80 mph....:wink:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had mine going 80, but since my speedo is off 2mph that was actually 78 I guess.
You won't be able to over-ride the top speed limitations, it is based on a lot of things including battery temp/discharge and the power loss at 80+mpg.

Speedo error reading higher than actual speed seems to be pretty common, did you GPS yours to make sure it is that far off?
This morning I connected a GPS to the car and I discovered that when going in the streets the speedometer error is 2 miles fast (35 mph actually is 33 mph) and when going in the Fwy is 5 miles fast (75 mph actually is 70 mph). I went to 83 mph actually that was 78 mph, which is its top speed. A 25K car and one does not even know at what speed is going? Very disappointing!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you follow the history of the smart ED, one of the big complaints about the Gen II car was lack of range. So, for the Gen III, smart compromised and cut back on the top speed a bit to add a bit more range. Of course, in an ICE smart you could have easily completed a pass at 80 mph....:wink:
My Corolla makes 90 ~ 100 mph with no much effort, going to Las Vegas tops 110 mph with not much effort and that was a $16K car when I got it brand new. Never had any complaints of anything. I guess I'm going to go back to Longo Toyota to get me another Corolla when my lease ends.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
You would be very disappointed that a $45k Merc speedo is also optimistic, along with many other cars out there. The loaner I had the other day was out by about 4 mph at 55 mph.

Unless you have verified for yourself many of the vehicles you have driven were likely out some amount. Speedos in police cars are the only calibrated speedos I have ever come accross.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
My Corolla makes 90 ~ 100 mph with no much effort, going to Las Vegas tops 110 mph with not much effort and that was a $16K car when I got it brand new. QUOTE]

I had a loaner Corolla for a few days years ago, what a total POS. I would rather walk.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
This morning I connected a GPS to the car and I discovered that when going in the streets the speedometer error is 2 miles fast (35 mph actually is 33 mph) and when going in the Fwy is 5 miles fast (75 mph actually is 70 mph). I went to 83 mph actually that was 78 mph, which is its top speed. A 25K car and one does not even know at what speed is going? Very disappointing!

GPS is RIGHT... Smarts Speedo is WRONG...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You would be very disappointed that a $45k Merc speedo is also optimistic, along with many other cars out there. The loaner I had the other day was out by about 4 mph at 55 mph.
This is a big turn off for me in a car, like a hot woman with a stinky mouth.:D
Unless you have verified for yourself many of the vehicles you have driven were likely out some amount. Speedos in police cars are the only calibrated speedos I have ever come accross.
All the cars that I have had never had that problem. That's why is a shock to me, knowing that this could happen on a sophisticated car.
I did the test yesterday to my other cars and they match the speed on the GPS and the one in the citys that I drive. Japanese car electronics are much better that American, European or other cars.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a loaner Corolla for a few days years ago, what a total POS. I would rather walk.
Are you sure was not a Ford Pinto, Dodge Neon, BMW 325, Mercedes 190E or a Yugo?:D
We have had Toyotas and Hondas for years in the family and never had any problem at all. Also we had some Chevys, Oldsmobile and BMW and had lots of problems. Bad gaskets, bad alternators, bad computer modules, bad transmission, bad you name it.:(

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The Corolla was an utter failure in the snow. I wouldn't make my worst enemy drive one.

Only had to drive it for 2 days then "upgraded" to a Camry, I wanted to kill myself slightly less driving it. I had a 1998 Malibu that I thoroughly hated, I would rather drive it again than a Toyota or a Honda.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Corolla was an utter failure in the snow. I wouldn't make my worst enemy drive one.
Here in California they sell like pancakes even more than civics. Everybody knows that they are super reliable. But in the snow, nothing works anyways, even a fire is hard to start. How do you guys live in that weather?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have had the misfortune of driving a Civic as well. If only the Japanese made cars, I would drive a Subaru.
Yes Subarus are good cars too, they even assembly some cars under contract for Toyota. I drove one in Guatemala in the 1980s.:)

·
Registered
832 Posts
That doesn't make it any different from most other cars. The speedometer is required by law to never show lower than actual speed. Since there is some tolerance in the measurement (tire pressure, wear, etc...), all cars speedometers are set to over-report actual speed.

Over all, 7% error isn't bad!

BTW, the GPS is not gospel, either. Unless it is using doppler-effect velocity measurement (consumer units don't), it's likely got it's own 5% error. So for all we know, the smart may only be off 2%. As would be most much more expensive cars.

If you really want to check the speedometer, don't use GPS. Use a roller-teststand, or drive a measured mile.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That doesn't make it any different from most other cars. The speedometer is required by law to never show lower than actual speed. Since there is some tolerance in the measurement (tire pressure, wear, etc...), all cars speedometers are set to over-report actual speed.
I think that speedometers have to be accurate. Actually if it its reading the wrong speed the judge will send you to calibrate it in case you got a ticket.
Over all, 7% error isn't bad!

BTW, the GPS is not gospel, either. Unless it is using doppler-effect velocity measurement (consumer units don't), it's likely got it's own 5% error. So for all we know, the smart may only be off 2%. As would be most much more expensive cars.
I disagree with you on this one. A good GPS is very accurate. A speedometer is a speed measuring device. Why a tape measure will read that a foot has aprox 10 inches when it must have 12 inches?
5 miles off is too much for me. Very unacceptable.
If you really want to check the speedometer, don't use GPS. Use a roller-teststand, or drive a measured mile.
This will reveal even more error and knowing that is not in concert with my other cars, City's speedometer and GPS is dissappointing. I'll have it checked by a friend who is a police man, see what his reading is and his opinion on this matter.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts